Reliance Jio’s valuation jumps more than half a billion dollars in just 12 days, thanks to Silver Lake
- Private equity firm Silver Lake has bought 1.15% stake in Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Jio for $750 million.
- At this valuation, the deal is worth 52% of parent company Reliance Industries’ total market capitalization.
- It’s also 23% more than what Facebook paid for its stake in Reliance Jio less than two weeks ago.
At this equity value, this is 52% of Reliance Industries’ (RIL) total market cap. Now, it seems like everyone wants a piece of the pie of the three-year-old telecom enterprise that is now one of the two leading operators in India with a total of 370 million subscribers at the end of March.
AdvertisementThe deal is the second stake sale in Jio in the last month aimed at reducing the debt of Reliance Industries (RIL), which stood at over $44 billion at the end of March 2020.
However, the share price of Jio’s parent RIL remained under pressure as the company’s mainstay energy business (over three-fourths of the revenue) was squeezed by the crash in crude oil prices.
Reliance Jio is now worth 1.75 times that of its closest competitor Airtel, whose market cap stood at ₹2.8 lakh crore.
|Reliance Jio||₹ 4.9 lakh crore|
|Airtel||₹ 2.8 lakh crore|
|Vodafone Idea||₹ 12,068 crore|
Silver Lake buy 1.15% Jio shares in Rs. 5655.75 Crore
Here's how Reliance Industries rights issue may affect the share price
RIL and BP cite COVID-19 lockdown for pushing back production from KG-D6— the real reason may the price
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down