Flipkart acquires gaming startup Mech Mocha as it looks to tap the social gaming space for more consumers
Flipkarttoday announced that it has acquired the intellectual property of gaming startup Mech Mocha.
- Mech Mocha runs a
social gamingplatform called Hello Play.
- Earlier in 2015, Flipkart had invested an undisclosed amount into Mech Mocha.
Mech Mocha runs a social gaming platform called Hello Play. Social gaming refers to an online game that is usually multiplayer, and is played through social media networks.
Founded by Arpita Kapoor and Mohit Rangaraju in 2014, the Bengaluru-based Mech Mocha is backed by investors like Accel Partners, Blume Ventures, and Shunwei Capital. Mech Mocha also has over ten games in seven Indian local languages.
AdvertisementThe move comes from Flipkart as the e-commerce platform looks at ways to develop new and innovative formats to engage with users on its platform.
“We see many first-time e-commerce users come online through formats such as video and games, as they build familiarity with the medium. Our observations of Flipkart GameZone, reflect this trend as we see a strong correlation between casual gamers becoming early shoppers on Flipkart for their digital journey. Through this transaction, we will strengthen our capabilities in the gaming domain with access to Mech Mocha's IP, games and talented team that will help us accelerate our efforts in this space,” said Prakash Sikaria, Vice-President, Flipkart.
Earlier in 2015, Flipkart had invested an undisclosed amount into Mech Mocha during the startup’s $1 million seed funding round.
Prajakta Koli aka MostlySane’s advice for content creators on the fine line between brand collaborations and staying honest on social media
- Budget session of T'gana Legislature likely this month: CM
- Ashwin tops the record for receiving the Man of the Series award maximum times in Test Matches from India
- India beats England in 4th Test, series 3-1, enters World Test Championship final
- Tech bids open for Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet train bridge project, says NHSRCL
- Tesla launches new social engagement platform 'Engage Tesla' for both public policy team and owner's clubs