Flipkart acquires gaming startup Mech Mocha as it looks to tap the social gaming space for more consumers
Flipkarttoday announced that it has acquired the intellectual property of gaming startup Mech Mocha.
- Mech Mocha runs a
social gamingplatform called Hello Play.
- Earlier in 2015, Flipkart had invested an undisclosed amount into Mech Mocha.
Mech Mocha runs a social gaming platform called Hello Play. Social gaming refers to an online game that is usually multiplayer, and is played through social media networks.
Founded by Arpita Kapoor and Mohit Rangaraju in 2014, the Bengaluru-based Mech Mocha is backed by investors like Accel Partners, Blume Ventures, and Shunwei Capital. Mech Mocha also has over ten games in seven Indian local languages.
AdvertisementThe move comes from Flipkart as the e-commerce platform looks at ways to develop new and innovative formats to engage with users on its platform.
“We see many first-time e-commerce users come online through formats such as video and games, as they build familiarity with the medium. Our observations of Flipkart GameZone, reflect this trend as we see a strong correlation between casual gamers becoming early shoppers on Flipkart for their digital journey. Through this transaction, we will strengthen our capabilities in the gaming domain with access to Mech Mocha's IP, games and talented team that will help us accelerate our efforts in this space,” said Prakash Sikaria, Vice-President, Flipkart.
Earlier in 2015, Flipkart had invested an undisclosed amount into Mech Mocha during the startup’s $1 million seed funding round.
Prajakta Koli aka MostlySane’s advice for content creators on the fine line between brand collaborations and staying honest on social media
Popular on BI
- K'taka Assembly passes supplementary budget of Rs 10,265 crore
- Sports NFT platforms have racked up nearly $1 billion in funding this week alone, despite market slump
- COVID-19 virus likely to get weaker and become a common cold, says Oxford-AstraZeneca vax creator
- Best teether for growing baby in India
- TiE Delhi-NCR kickstarts the 10th Edition of India Internet Day themed Digital India: Escape Velocity