Reliance’s e-commerce venture JioMart makes a silent debut, calls for pre-registrations
JioMartlaunches as a grocery retail platform delivering in Navi Mumbai, Thane and Kalyan. Relianceis also calling for pre-registrations which promises to save ₹3,000 at the time of launch.
- Jio’s entry is a threat to
e-commercebigwigs, Amazon, Flipkart and also startups like BigBasket, Grofers, Swiggy, Dunzo.
AdvertisementReliance Industries has silently launched its much talked about e-commerce venture, JioMart.
JioMart is a grocery retail platform that calls itself ‘ desh ki nayi dukaan’. The website says that it is currently available in Navi Mumbai, Thane and Kalyan - suburbs of Mumbai.
“Yes, we have soft-launched our operations. All
Reliance is also calling for pre-registrations from users with savings of as much as ₹3,000.
This step can help boost the valuation of the business which has 10,901 physical stores across the country. Reliance Industries said that it plans to spin off its retail venture, and the new digital avatar can boost its valuation.
An IANS report pegs the value of Reliance Retail at ₹2.4 lakh crore as per a share swap scheme. It basically calculated the value of the business as RIL offered one share of the combined entity for every four shares of retail business. Also, RIL stock touched ₹10 lakh crore this year, boosting the value of all its businesses.
JioMart’s debut is a threat to several e-commerce players who have been scaling up their grocery retail operations like – Amazon, Flipkart to startups like BigBasket, Grofers, Swiggy, Dunzo.
For over a year now, rumours of Reliance e-commerce debut had been doing the rounds. The company has also been buying into startups in the sector.
Going by an offline-to-online model, in December Reliance acquired 85% stake in the Hyderabad-based startup Nowfloats for ₹141.63 crores. Nowfloats offers SaaS based solutions to SMEs, and enables their digital presence.
In August 2019, Reliance acquired a majority stake in the Google-backed fashion e-commerce startup Fynd. In March 2019, Reliance had acquired Mumbai-based logistics platform Grab A Grub.
AdvertisementReliance Retail has made a much bigger promise to build its online business on the back of its 364.3 million Jio subscribers.
Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Retail is valued at ₹2.4 lakh crore
Reliance Industries' latest acquisition takes Mukesh Ambani closer to e-commerce launch
Popular on BI
- Ukraine's drones are becoming increasingly ineffective as Russia ramps up its electronic warfare and air defenses
- 'Die-hard' Nintendo fan spent over $40,000 buying stock and then asked top executives why the company won't make more of a fan-favorite series
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- It’s not the CM seat but the one who wields ‘bow and arrow’ will be the Sena head
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report