Snapdeal says it has just tested deliveries using robots and it was successful
Snapdealhas partnered with autonomous mobility startup OttonomyIO to deliver ‘sanitized’ packages.
- Robot delivery, while has been much talked about, is just starting to take off globally.
- E-commerce giant Amazon is also betting on robot deliveries globally.
AdvertisementIndia’s third-largest e-commerce player Snapdeal has said that it has successfully tested
During the test run for the
According to the company, these robots are also equipped with ultraviolet lighting to ‘disinfect the packet while navigating to the delivery location’.
Snapdeal also said that it is investing heavily in artificial intelligence and machine learning to develop future-oriented capabilities.
“We believe that delivery robots will have a unique role to play in e-commerce deliveries in large townships, institutional campuses, and other managed residential environments.
The development from Snapdeal comes at a time when the likes of Zomato, Swiggy, Dunzo are experimenting with drone deliveries. In June, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) gave the official nod to delivery companies like Zomato, Swiggy, Dunzo to begin testing beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS) drones for deliveries.
While ‘robot delivery’ has been an exciting and much talked about venture for a long time now, it has recently taken off globally as well. Global e-commerce giant Amazon also created a new team that will work on autonomous deliveries called Amazon Scout. These robots, like the one by Ottonomy IO, will be able to roll along sidewalks and deliver parcels.
While the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the need for contactless deliveries, it is worthy to note that for robot-led deliveries in India to work, it requires a massive overhaul in infrastructure and policy.
Ronnie Screwvala explains why COVID edtech boom is unlike demonetisation boost for digital payments
Sachin Tendulkar is now Paytm First Games’ brand ambassador – with a ₹300 crore marketing spend, the app aims to garner 100 million users during IPL
Popular on BI
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?