Snapdeal says it has just tested deliveries using robots and it was successful
Snapdealhas partnered with autonomous mobility startup OttonomyIO to deliver ‘sanitized’ packages.
- Robot delivery, while has been much talked about, is just starting to take off globally.
- E-commerce giant Amazon is also betting on robot deliveries globally.
During the test run for the
According to the company, these robots are also equipped with ultraviolet lighting to ‘disinfect the packet while navigating to the delivery location’.
AdvertisementSnapdeal also said that it is investing heavily in artificial intelligence and machine learning to develop future-oriented capabilities.
“We believe that delivery robots will have a unique role to play in e-commerce deliveries in large townships, institutional campuses, and other managed residential environments.
The development from Snapdeal comes at a time when the likes of Zomato, Swiggy, Dunzo are experimenting with drone deliveries. In June, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) gave the official nod to delivery companies like Zomato, Swiggy, Dunzo to begin testing beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS) drones for deliveries.
While ‘robot delivery’ has been an exciting and much talked about venture for a long time now, it has recently taken off globally as well. Global e-commerce giant Amazon also created a new team that will work on autonomous deliveries called Amazon Scout. These robots, like the one by Ottonomy IO, will be able to roll along sidewalks and deliver parcels.
While the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the need for contactless deliveries, it is worthy to note that for robot-led deliveries in India to work, it requires a massive overhaul in infrastructure and policy.
Ronnie Screwvala explains why COVID edtech boom is unlike demonetisation boost for digital payments
Sachin Tendulkar is now Paytm First Games’ brand ambassador – with a ₹300 crore marketing spend, the app aims to garner 100 million users during IPL
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down