Swiggy and Zomato beware! Amazon begins food delivery in India
Business Insider India
- Users in Bengaluru can already see the food delivery option under “Amazon Food”.
- All the restaurants carry a “hygiene” tag.
- The food delivery space which is dominated by
Swiggy, Zomatohad also seen the entry of players like MakeMyTrip.
AdvertisementE-commerce giant Amazon is finally launching its food delivery business in India. However, the service is currently live only in certain pincodes. Users in Bengaluru can already see the food delivery option under “Amazon Food”.
It has already signed up several restaurants in the city and all the restaurants carry a “hygiene” tag.
“Customers have been telling us for some time that they would like to order prepared meals on Amazon in addition to shopping for all other essentials. This is particularly relevant in present times as they stay home safe. We also recognize that local businesses need all the help they can get. We are launching
In February, according to ET several vendors were signed up by Prione Business Services – a venture set up by Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy’s Catamaran Ventures and Amazon. The venture was set up to help digitize and scale up India’s small businesses.
The food delivery vertical is already hot in India, and has gained momentum even during the coronavirus lockdown. Zomato acquired UberEats in January 2020, giving Uber a 9.9% stake in the food delivery company. While sources claimed that Zomato will take its market share to 55% with the deal, a source told Business Insider that Swiggy’s revenue share continued to be at 60%.
Meanwhile, travel aggregator MakeMyTrip too recently entered the food delivery vertical. The company has rolled out an online gourmet delivery service in partnership with luxury and premium hotel chains and independent properties across cities in India.
Hospitality unicorn OYO too is experimenting in the food segment. According to reports, OYO is looking to enter the ready-to-eat food sector, an addition to its existing cloud kitchen network.
Swiggy and Zomato confirm home delivery of alcohol in Jharkhand – and it’s a lot easier than getting liquor in Maharashtra
MakeMyTrip will now deliver food – jumps into the ring where Zomato and Swiggy are already fighting it out
Popular on BI
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high