What is e-mandate or UPI autopay and how to enable it for Jio, Hotstar and others
- The Reserve Bank of India’s guidelines for auto-debit transactions will come into force from Friday.
- E-mandates allow you to conveniently make payments automatically.
- Here’s how to set up e-mandates for Jio, Disney+ Hotstar, Zerodha and more.
AdvertisementThe Reserve Bank of India has revised the guidelines for auto-debit transactions and this will come in force from today, October 1. These will affect users who have set up online subscriptions or recurring payments for their insurance premium, rent, utility bills or their systematic investment plans (SIPs) as these payments will have to be re-authenticated.
If you are among those who have set up auto-debit for payments, you need to know about Reserve Bank of India’s e-mandate feature that allows you to place a standing instruction with your bank to automatically debit a predetermined amount from your bank account.
Having an e-mandate set in place allows you to conveniently make payments automatically and avoid late payment charges and penalties. E-mandates are also an effective way for companies and businesses to ensure continuity in payments from their customers, so this allows both the buyers as well as sellers to benefit from the facility.
How to set up e-mandate for auto-debit of payments
E-mandate can be set up so that payments get auto-debited using either your debit card or your net banking. While banks are working on a common platform that will allow you to register for auto-debit of payments, you can currently set e-mandates for different platforms.
Users can also use UPI to set up UPI autopay for their subscriptions. Some of the platforms such as Jio and Hotstar already allow you to set up UPI autopay for recharging your mobile or subscribing to their plans.
How to set e-mandate for Jio recharges
- Open the MyJio app and open the menu from the left corner.
- Now, scroll down and click on “JioPay”.
- Now, select either “Bank Account” or “UPI”.
- Now, select the plan with which you want to recharge your phone and click on “Proceed”.
- Now, enter your account details or UPI ID and click on proceed.
- Authenticate the transaction in your bank account or UPI app.
How to set e-mandate for Disney+ Hotstar subscription
To set up e-mandate for Disney+ Hotstar, follow the below steps:
- Sign in to your account and click on “Subscribe” at the top right corner.
- Select a plan and click on “Continue”.
- Now, select a payment option from credit card, debit card, net banking, Paytm and UPI.
- In this example, we will set the e-mandate using UPI.
- Enter your UPI ID and click on “Continue”.
- You will get an auto-pay request in your UPI app such as PhonePe, Google Pay or other such apps.
- Click on “Pay” and enter your UPI pin.
- Open the e-mandate page from here.
- Now, enter the details such as your loan number and personal details.
- Then, you will be required to select if you want to create the mandate using your debit card or net banking.
- Now, enter your debit account number, account type and IFSC code.
- Then, enter the collection amount, frequency and date.
- Click on “Authorize Mandate”.
Here is how e-mandate can be set on Zerodha
- Log into your Zerodha account and click on Console.
- Now, click on “Funds” and go to Bank Mandates.
- Now, click on “Create Mandate”.
- Choose a bank account and click on “Continue”.
- Now, verify your details using debit card or net banking.
- Click on “Submit”.
From Netflix and Hotstar to Airtel to Jio bills, brace for surprises as RBI’s guidelines on auto-debit transactions kick in from October 1
Grace periods and wallet payments — Apple and Zoom are reaching out to their customers ahead of the new rules for auto debit for online payments
Popular on BI
- Redmi 13C 5G vs Redmi 12 5G – Battle of the budget Redmi smartphones
- Creating a search friendly resume – Here’s how to crack the ATS code
- Gold rush: Don’t recycle or book profits yet, another bull-run on the way say analysts
- Best kitchen vegetable stands in India
- Pencil maker Doms to kick off December IPO season, fixes price band at ₹750-790