Abu Dhabi Investment Authority invests $500 mn in eyewear unicorn Lenskart
- Eyewear unicorn
Lenskarthas signed a definitive agreement with Abu Dhabi Investment Authority(ADIA).
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority invests $500 mn.
The investment is an extension to last year's funding round, helping Lenskart maintain its $4.5 billion valuation.
The company said that the capital will be deployed to deepen its presence in Asia and the Middle East.
ADIA's investment includes some secondary purchase of shares from some early backers of Lenskart.
The eyewear company has so far raised $1.5 billion in primary and secondary rounds, according to reports.
Founded in 2010, Lenskart ships over 10 million pairs of eyewear every year and has over 20 million app downloads, 300 home eye test representatives as well as over 1,100 stores across India, Singapore, and Dubai, the company said last year.
Lenskart is backed by
In June last year, the eyewear unicorn took a majority stake in Japanese eyewear brand Owndays in a deal that was reportedly around $400 million.
This took the merged firm to reach 13 markets in Asia including India, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Japan.
The company said it will continue its rapid expansion in India and South East Asia to serve the mass to mid-premium segments.
Innovative AI-powered applications and websites that are revolutionizing the way we live and work
Apple's AirPods to offer health tracking features in future releases
Popular on BI
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G and Nord Buds 2 to launch on April 4 – Here’s all you need to know
- Amazon Convertible Fest sale – Best deals on convertible ACs and refrigerators
- Govt intervention critical to remove green financing barriers, IPCC report stresses as we move towards 3.5°C warming
- BYJU's set to raise $250 million, at a lower valuation
- Piramal Realty inks deal with Jio-bp to install EV charging stations at its properties