This man’s generosity crashed the wealth of Indian billionaires by $16 billion
Premji’s donations have left a dent of $16 billion in the collective wealth of Indian billionaires.
- According to Forbes, the wealth of Indian billionaires shrunk by 23% to $313 billion due to coronavirus.
- A part of this is because Premji’s wealth decreased from $22.6 billion in 2019 to $6.1 billion this year.
- Recently, his charitable initiative —
Azim Premji Foundationand Wipro — the IT major he founded — set aside ₹1125 crore to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
AdvertisementApart from depressing accounts of slowdown and Corona crash of stock markets, there is yet another reason why Indian billionaires are a tad poorer this year. It is generosity, and that too from one unique billionaire who gave away 73% of his wealth, according to Forbes.
Azim Premji donated as much as $16 billion of his wealth, and that has affected the collective wealth number of 102 Indian billionaires.
According to Forbes, the wealth of all
Last year, Indian billionaires lost as much as $93 billion, and Premji’s donations had a small but impactful effect on their collective wealth.
Premji is one of the world’s most generous billionaires and has also opened his heart and purse as India fights the Covid-19 pandemic.
His charitable initiative —
In March 2019, Premji set aside 34% of his Wipro shares worth $7.5 billion for charity. Until last June 2019, Premji’s total contribution to philanthropy stood $21 billion — which was 30% greater than his net worth at that time.
In 2013, he also agreed to give away half of his wealth to support an initiative led by Warren Buffet and Bill Gates two of the richest men in the world
In 2001, Premji started Premji Foundation, a not-for-profit organization which aims to improve public school education in India. Currently, foundation works out of seven Indian states with over 350,000 schools.
See also: Azim Premji – India's most generous billionaire – and companies donate ₹1,125 crore to fight Covid-19
Popular on BI
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet