Declare COVID-19 notifiable disease, demands FICCI
In a report titled Strategy for COVID Containment, FICCI said that there is need to reimagine the public health preparedness to appropriately address the infectious disease outbreaks.
A notifiable disease is any disease that is required by law to be reported to government authorities.
The report pointed out that there is an urgent need to build capacities of healthcare workers at all levels to combat the pandemic in an appropriate way.
"COVID-19 should be declared a notifiable disease ... the focus should now be shifted to 'controlled transmission' with the objective to flatten the curve," the report suggested.
It also said there is a need to decentralize the healthcare system with focus on primary healthcare.
According to the report, public health experts need to be an integral part of planning and a dedicated cadre of public health specialist should be created immediately.
Frontline workers should be adequately trained on the use of appropriate PPE according to the job- whether it is surveillance or caring of the COVID patients in healthcare facilities, the report said adding that testing needs to be ramped up, especially in most affected states.
The report also pointed out that sufficient number of oxygen concentrators need to be made available across the country to reduce the number of needless deaths.Till date, 14,011 people have died in India due to the viral infection with the total case load rising to 4,40,215. India is in the eighth position in the global death count of 472,541. The US accounts for the highest number of deaths totalling 120,402. BKS MR
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes