GDP growth to stay flat at 4.5pc in Oct-Dec: SBI economists
They also said that India faces the risk of getting impacted by coronavirus epidemic economically because of its high reliance on Chinese imports for various goods.
The GDP growth is set to slip to a decadal low of 5 per cent in 2019-20, driven majorly by a fall in domestic consumption and sluggish world markets that have impacted Indian exports.
The downward spiral in growth momentum has resulted in a slew of initiatives from the policymaking side, including a cumulative rate cut of 1.35 percentage point by the Reserve Bank in 2019, and a sharp cut in direct taxes for corporates by the government.
The SBI economists revised up their FY2019-20 growth estimate to 4.7 per cent from the earlier estimate of 4.6 per cent because of the base effect triggered by a downward revision in the FY2018-19 growth number by the government.
The "steep" downward revision by the government for the FY2018-19 growth number indicates that the slowdown had set-in since April 2018 onward, the SBI economists said.
On the third quarter estimate, the economists said its composite leading indicator, which analyses inputs from 33 various indicators, suggests that the growth will be flat as the preceding quarter's 4.5 per cent growth.
Meanwhile, on the coronavirus scare, it said, "the economic impact is expected to accrue from supply chain risk which may link up with exports as in pharmaceutical sectors".
Direct exports of commodities like cotton, diamonds to Hong Kong, and import of auto parts and certain items critical to solar projects will be the areas of impact, it said.They also noted that poultry sales have also seen some impact although the virus is not of avian origin. AA MRMR
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- Fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi removed from Interpol database of Red Notices
- US condemns attack on Indian Consulate in San Francisco; pledges to defend safety, security
- Paul Grant who played Ewok on Star Wars passes away at 56
- Sensex, Nifty50 edge up in morning trade led by gains in financial services, PSU bank stocks
- Always open for negotiation: Putin tells Xi Jinping on Ukraine peace plan