Goans hit by alcohol inflation after Feni rates double to Rs 8,000 per can
AdvertisementIt is not just the rising prices of petrol and diesel which is hassling the common man in
The state's heritage brew,
Feni, the most popular drink of the coastal state, was notified as the state heritage drink by the Goa government in 2016.
Cashew feni is also the country's first indigenous liquor to obtain the
According to feni producers, an unprecedented drop in cashew production in Goa has in turn affected the production of cashew feni.
"We were expecting that the price of cashew feni may be hiked by 20 to 30 per cent. But to our surprise, it has almost doubled as compared to last year's rate. Now the feni producers are charging Rs 7,000 to 8,000 for a single can of 35 litres. This rate will remain constant till the next production is done," Shailesh Naik, a retailer, told IANS.
The increased rate has also fuelled fear of spurious versions of the traditional brew, which is one of the cheapest drinks in Goa.
'Urrak' is obtained from the single distillation process, while once double distilled, the drink is referred to as feni.
Urrak, which is a seasonal drink containing alcohol, is consumed with lime juice. However, feni is blended with spices like clove, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon to make another variation called 'masala feni'.
Speaking to IANS, Mac
"But the main concern is not the escalated price of feni. We fear that some stakeholders might try to fill in the shortfall by making spurious versions of the drink," said Vaz, who is also an exporter and bottler of the popular feni brand, 'Big Boss'.
He also said that the increased rate will impact the feni industry.
"There is a lot of demand for feni from local the retailers," he said.
SEE ALSO :
Eknath Shinde wants a 'breather' and spend time with families
30 large reservoirs in India dip to a decadal low after erratic rains in June
Popular on BI
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts
- IPL has given me confidence to remain calm under pressure: Rinku Singh
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments