India sealed M&A deals worth $104.3 bn this year, raised $6 bn from IPOs
The figures represent a significant 34 per cent increase in the overall deal volumes, while deal values more than doubled (with a 143 per cent increase) from the same period last year, according to the
These three deals alone accounted for 86 per cent of the total M&A deal values in H1 2022.
"Amid macro-economic stress, the overall deal sentiment for 2022 is expected to continue given the support from the government on infrastructure spending, supply-side response and key fiscal measures," said
"However, corporates and more importantly PE/VCs may employ a cautiously optimistic approach as the impact of the global economic slowdown on the Indian economy becomes evident," Vijetha added.
While private equity deal activity continued to dominate total deal volumes with 3/4th share, deal values were driven by mergers and acquisitions with 76 per cent of the total deal values in H1 2022.
Startup, e-commerce and IT sectors led deal activity in H1 2022, driving 76 per cent of all deals followed by retail, education and pharma sectors.
The M&A space witnessed a significant increase in the first half, witnessing 284 deals while representing a 27 per cent growth over H1 2021.
The banking and financial sector had the highest contribution of 53 per cent in terms of overall deal value in H1 2022, followed by IT and manufacturing sectors.
AdvertisementThe private equity and venture capital investments saw record volumes and values in the first six-month period with 865 deals at $25.1 billion.
However, there was a 12 per cent and 15 per cent decrease in investment volumes and values over H2 2021 (the preceding six months), the report noted.
"The drop in the deal values is due to a fall in big-ticket investments coupled with prevailing factors including geopolitical tensions, stock market volatility, concerns about the rise in commodity prices and the impact of inflation," the report noted.
Nevertheless, large funds like
The start-up space attracted the most investment at $5.1 billion across 550 deals, recording a growth of 69 per cent in deal values.
AdvertisementSEE ALSO :
India vs West Indies: Here’s the entire schedule
Strong corporate earnings drive markets higher
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- I'm a software engineer who struggled with procrastination until I tried 'monk mode' — here's how it saves me up to 3 hours a day
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report