Reliance ditches Viacom18 merger talks with Sony – has its eyes set on building India's No.1 OTT and broadcast platform
As per sources,
Sources said digital media and entertainment is an essential pillar of Jio's digital business strategy. Reliance plans to invest aggressively and grow the digital media business.
They added that Reliance wants to retain management control over the digital operations and invest behind creating India's number 1 OTT destination as well as broadcast platform.
Sources revealed that entertainment is central to Jio's FTTH plans in partnership and collaboration with other content and production companies.
"There is a lot of interest from content companies and production houses in partnering with Reliance and Jio, and investors are keen to back such partnerships," they added.
Earlier, there were reports that Sony is likely to own 74 per cent after a merger with Viacom 18.
As per reports, a merger of Sony Pictures Network and Viacom 18 was being discussed.
Viacom 18 is a 51:49 JV between Reliance owned Network 18 and Viacom. There had been a buzz about the deal for some months now.
Popular on BI
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry