Retail sales jump 19% from pre-pandemic levels, West India leads recovery:RAI survey
Retailsales across Indiahas grown 19% since the pre-pandemic levels, reveals survey.
- According to the survey,
West Indialed the retail sales growth story in India.
- Consumer durables and electronics saw the strongest growth from pre-pandemic levels, followed by Quick Service Restaurants.
AdvertisementRetail sales across India saw a 19% growth in October 2022 compared with the pre-pandemic levels (2019) and a 15% growth from a year earlier, a Retail Business Survey by the
The survey further revealed that West India led the retail sales during October 2022, signaling a growth of 25% from the pre-pandemic levels in October 2019. South India and
“The removal of pandemic-related restrictions has resulted in all-round growth of retail businesses across regions and categories. In order to understand the complete impact of the festival season on retail sales, it is essential to see the figures of October and November combined. We would await the results for the month of November to draw definitive conclusions. However, all the signs indicate a positive trend,” said Kumar Rajagopalan, CEO, RAI.
In terms of categories, consumer durables and electronics saw the strongest growth at 38% followed by Quick Service Restaurants at 33% from October 2019.
Sports goods came next at 30% growth followed by food & groceries that indicated a 23% rise from pre-pandemic levels, RAI said.
Comparison with October 2021 levels, however, showed that sports goods saw the biggest jump at 35% followed by consumer durables and electronics at 32%.
RAI is an advocate for retailers in India and works with all levels of government and stakeholders to promote and sustain retail investments.
SEE ALSO: Menopause: Hormone Replacement Therapy linked to depression - here's what evidence says
One in every six Indians has borderline diabetes says report
Virat Kohli and Suryakumar Yadav included in the most valuable team of ICC Men's T20 World Cup
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Adani Group repays loans worth $2.65 bn to complete prepayment programme
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the red amid volatility: Adani group, SBI Cards, Indigo among stocks to watch
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023