The Yes Bank probe leads to the arrest of DHFL promoters Kapil and Dheeraj Wadhawan for alleged money laundering
- The Enforcement Directorate on May 14 arrested the promoters of Diwan Housing Finance Limited Kapil and
- The scam started taking shape between April and June 2018 when Yes Bank invested ₹3,700 crore in short-term debentures of the scam-hit DHFL.
- Wadhawans will be in custody for days until May 24.
- The arrest comes two days after the Bombay High Court refused to grant pre-arrest bail.
AdvertisementThe Enforcement Directorate on May 14 arrested the promoters of Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited Kapil and Dheeraj Wadhawan. This time Wadhawans are accused of money laundering in the
In return, the Wadhawans allegedly "paid kickbacks of ₹ 600 crore" to former Yes Bank CEO Rana Kapoor and his family members in the form of loans to DoIT Urban Ventures (India) Pvt Ltd held by the wife and daughters of Kapoor, the CBI has claimed.
Wadhawans will be in custody until May 24.
But this isn’t the first case to blow the Wadhawan, who were once the limelight of all the glittery Bollywood parties in Mumbai. Earlier this year, Kapil Wadhawan was in ED custody until January 29 and had undergone a legal proceeding under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act. (PMLA). Wadhawans are accused of reportedly diverting over ₹2,100 crore.
Fall of the Wadhawan Empire
From the biggest fleet of Rolls Royce Phantoms in India to the luxury business jet Falcon 2000, the high-flying Wadhawans owned the most fabulous machines the world of hijinks has ever seen.
Rakesh Wadhawan — the billionaire promoter of DHFL — was once worth ₹1 billion in 2010. Sarang Dewan — son of Rakesh Wadhawan and VC/MD of Housing Development & Infrastructure— along with his wife Anu used to host posh bollywood parties from Karva Chauth to Christmas.
It was all smooth sailing until it came to light that Punjab Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank had lent a lot of money to the Wadhawans and it wasn’t coming back to bank.
Since then, members of the Wadhawan family have been accused of links with the underworld, bribery and corruption.
With Kapil Wadhawan’s arrest, the family is now accused of scams worth over a billion dollars Yes Bank scam: DHFL's Kapil and Dheeraj Wadhawan taken into custody by CBI
Popular on BI
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- Elon Musk was dating Amber Heard and finalizing a divorce around the time he's said to have sexually harassed a SpaceX flight attendant
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22