Here's how startup founders can become good funders
- There are several founder-turned-investors in the Indian startup ecosystem too.
- Here are the qualities that makes a startup founder a good investor.
Vijay Shekhar Sharma of Paytm who is still running his company, is also an active angel investor with over 20 investments.
Being a celebrity founder like Sharma and the Bansal founders or even Kunal Shah of Freecharge fame, Kunal Bahl of Snapdeal, Bhavish Aggarwal of Ola, also adds weight to an investor’s journey.
AdvertisementHaving been through several rounds of funding while building a startup, a founder-turned-investor can see through the pros and cons of investing in a company.
Manish Singhal who co-founded LetsVenture.com, is now running Pi Ventures – lived the life of an entrepreneur as well as an investor. Being a founder exposes you to issues that a startup faces, he believes.
“You relate to the founder challenges a bit better. If you have built a deep technology product, it also becomes easy to appreciate their technology as well as value addition,” said Singhal.
However, that’s not the only thing that can turn a founder into an investor.
Mukul Arora of SAIF Partners believes that along with the unique perspective of running a business, a founder-turned-investor must bring more to the table.
“That is 20% of what is needed to be an investor, so if founders come in with a mindset that there is an 80% left for which I will have to unlearn and relearn, they can become good investors. Just being a founder is not sufficient, you have to be hardworking and hungry to learn a lot,” said Arora.
AdvertisementHe added that while in the US there have been many such examples, the Indian startup ecosystem is not yet mature.
Being a founder, one also tends to have the habit of creating new products. A VC enables products and not creates them. That is an understanding a founder needs to have before turning into a VC, adds Singhal.
“Founders can have strong viewpoints but as an investor it’s also important to have flexibility,” said Singhal.
Popular on BI
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- Internship at Bureau of Police Research & Development: Checkout all the details including last date, eligibility and stipend
- One of the largest cryptocurrency swapping platforms just lost $1.3 million as users failed to update approvals
- Consumers expect healthcare sector to see an increased allocation in the 2022 budget as the pandemic rages on: Kantar report
- Bharat Electronics Limited is looking to fill up 247 posts with a maximum monthly salary of ₹55,000
- iPhone SE 3, new iPad and Macs — Here’s what to expect from Apple’s spring event this year
- There are huge discounts on Nykaa, Zomato and shares of other listed tech startups
- ICICI Bank shares are sulking with the rest of the market, but analysts say it could make a lot of money for investors