Masayoshi Son is leaving his crown jewel Alibaba’s board – 15 years after he took the position
Softbank ChairmanMasayoshi Son has resigned from Alibaba’s board, 15 years after he took a seat on the board of one of the world’s largest e-commerce companies.
- Son’s resignation from Alibaba’s board has been timed to match
Jack Ma’s last day at SoftBank’s board.
- Alibaba’s market value is a whopping $600 billion and currently accounts for 65% of SoftBank’s shareholder value.
Son said that he is graduating from his most successful investment so far and that Alibaba will remain the crown jewel of SoftBank’s portfolio.
Son’s resignation from Alibaba’s board has been timed to match Jack Ma’s last day at SoftBank’s board. In May 2018, Ma left the board of SoftBank after 13 years.
Advertisement“Stepping down the SoftBank board, Ma said to me was something that he decided on his own. That's sad but we will still keep in touch. Right before Covid19 we met face to face every month to have dinner, talk business and we will remain friends for the rest of our lives,” Son had said on Ma’s resignation.
He had invested $20 million in Alibaba in 2000 and has been one of the most influential people behind Alibaba’s growth. Son had said that he invested in Alibaba after speaking to him for five minutes, when Alibaba had zero revenue.
Today, Alibaba’s market value is a whopping $600 billion and currently accounts for 65% of SoftBank’s shareholder value
This virtual accelerator with mentors from Google, Facebook, Silicon Valley Bank wants to help startups find their way through the new normal
Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio has a new fan— Donald Trump’s right-hand man calls it a 'clean telco'
Popular on BI
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again