Masayoshi Son is leaving his crown jewel Alibaba’s board – 15 years after he took the position
Softbank ChairmanMasayoshi Son has resigned from Alibaba’s board, 15 years after he took a seat on the board of one of the world’s largest e-commerce companies.
- Son’s resignation from Alibaba’s board has been timed to match
Jack Ma’s last day at SoftBank’s board.
- Alibaba’s market value is a whopping $600 billion and currently accounts for 65% of SoftBank’s shareholder value.
Son said that he is graduating from his most successful investment so far and that Alibaba will remain the crown jewel of SoftBank’s portfolio.
Son’s resignation from Alibaba’s board has been timed to match Jack Ma’s last day at SoftBank’s board. In May 2018, Ma left the board of SoftBank after 13 years.
“Stepping down the SoftBank board, Ma said to me was something that he decided on his own. That's sad but we will still keep in touch. Right before Covid19 we met face to face every month to have dinner, talk business and we will remain friends for the rest of our lives,” Son had said on Ma’s resignation.
He had invested $20 million in Alibaba in 2000 and has been one of the most influential people behind Alibaba’s growth. Son had said that he invested in Alibaba after speaking to him for five minutes, when Alibaba had zero revenue.
Today, Alibaba’s market value is a whopping $600 billion and currently accounts for 65% of SoftBank’s shareholder value
This virtual accelerator with mentors from Google, Facebook, Silicon Valley Bank wants to help startups find their way through the new normal
Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio has a new fan— Donald Trump’s right-hand man calls it a 'clean telco'
Popular on BI
- Reliance Industries will be hosting its 45th AGM this month — all your need to know
- Great Freedom Festival deals on kitchen products—buy induction cooker, microwave oven, mixer grinder, and more at discount
- Best Amazon deals on large appliances - AC, TV, Fridge, Washing machine, Dishwasher
- Best deals on fashion and beauty during Amazon Great Freedom Festival
- Best deals on furniture items during the sale