Mobile Premier League is now a few million short of being India's next unicorn
MPLhas raised $95 million in a Series D round led by Composite Capital and Moore Strategic Ventures.
- The investment values the startup at $945 million, bringing it at the doorstep of the unicorn club.
gaming startupclaims to have over 60 million users in India and over 3.5 million users in Indonesia.
MPL had also recently raised $500,000 from its employees under its “Employee Investment Plan”. The four-year old startup has now raised a total of $225.5 million and counts Base Partners, RTP Global, SIG, Go-Ventures, Telstra Ventures, Founders Circle and Play Ventures among its investors.
“As we grow our presence and expand, this fresh round of funds will help us focus on our core value propositions - a robust platform with the best features for gamers and onboarding the best eSports titles. The esports community in India is thriving, and we believe this is the perfect time to take Indian-made games to the world as well as help Indian gamers get recognized for their talent,” said Sai Srinivas, Co-Founder, and CEO, MPL.
The gaming startup which claims to have over 60 million users in India and over 3.5 million users in Indonesia, is also building up its brand with its association with Indian cricket team.
After an IPL sponsorship, MPL’s athleisure brand MPL Sports had become the official kit sponsor for Team India. As part of a three-year deal with BCCL, MPL Sports designed and manufactured jerseys will be worn by Men’s, Women’s and the Under-19 INDIAN cricket teams.
MPL in India sees competition from gaming unicorn Dream11, and other players like Howzat.
AdvertisementDisclaimer: Business Insider is a partner of Times Internet, which is an investor in MPL.
Popular on BI
- Crypto is about much more than just 'cryptocurrencies'
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India