Boom! Another unicorn pops up from India as Groww raises $83 million at a billion dollar valuation
- Online investment platform Groww has raised $83 million at a billion dollar valuation from Tiger Global.
- The investment also saw participation from existing investors Sequoia India, Ribbit Capital, YC Continuity and Propel Venture Partners.
- Groww becomes the fourth unicorn in this week alone and the eighth unicorn of 2021 so far.
AdvertisementOnline investment platform Groww has raised $83 million at a billion dollar valuation from US-based investor Tiger Global. The investment also saw participation from existing investors Sequoia India, Ribbit Capital, YC Continuity and Propel Venture Partners.
The startup had last raised $30 million in Series C led by YC Continuity in September 2020.
With this, Groww becomes the fourth startup to be catapulted to unicorn status this week alone and the eighth unicorn of 2021, so far.
|Digit Insurance||January 15|
|Five Star Business Finance||March 27|
Groww is a stockbroking startup founded by former Flipkart employees – Lalit Keshre, Harsh Jain, Neeraj Singh, and Ishan Bansal. Based in Bengaluru, the company claims to have over 10 million registered users across 900 cities.
The four-year old startup was also a part of CB Insights’ list of 250 world’s most promising fintech companies.
The stock broking market has been heating up as India has seen a huge uptick in the number of people investing in Indian stock markets. Groww faces competition from the likes of Zerodha, Paytm Money, INDMoney, Stockal among others.
With the latest investment, the startup plans to expand its product suite, hire top-quality talent, and invest heavily in financial education and awareness.
OYO says an angry creditor has dragged the $9 billion startup to court over a ₹16 lakh dispute
For the third consecutive day, a new unicorn is born from India as PharmEasy joins the billion dollar club
Popular on BI
- Silicon Valley needs to stop laying off workers and start firing CEOs
- A laid-off Google engineer describes losing his 'only career' 16 years after starting as an intern
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- Not just LIC, 32 mutual fund houses have exposure to Adani Group stocks
- OnePlus launches seven new products at its Cloud 11 event—here’s everything about the OnePlus 11, Buds Pro 2, Keyboard 81 Pro and more
- OnePlus 11 vs iQOO 11 – price, specs and features compared
- OnePlus 11 5G review: High on value, low on excitement
- Delhi to Kochi - Indian destinations international travellers are looking for in 2023