Paytm Mall loses its unicorn status
- Paytm Mall was launched in 2016 as a hyperlocal offline-to-online (O2O) business.
- The company competed with Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal.
- Paytm too lost nearly $9 billion in valuation after its public listing.
AdvertisementPaytm Mall — the ecommerce arm of digital payments giant Paytm — is now valued under $1 billion, as per the latest Hurun List. The company was valued at $3 billion in 2020, the report further added.
Eight other companies, mostly from China, also lost their unicorn status this year. A unicorn, in startup parlance, is a company valued above $1 billion.
Source: Hurun Global Unicorn Index 2021
|Company||Valuation in 2020||Country||Sector|
|Zume||$4 billion||USA||Big Data|
|Paytm Mall||$3 billion||India||Ecommerce|
|UCAR||$3 billion||China||Shared economy|
|Yixia||$3 billion||China||Media and entertainment|
Business Insider has reached out to Paytm seeking comments on the dip in valuation.
Paytm Mall was launched in 2016 as a hyperlocal offline-to-online (O2O) business and it turned into a unicorn in 2018 after raising nearly half a billion from SoftBank and others. The company was valued at $2.86 billion in 2019, when it raised funding from eBay.
The company competes with Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal, which filed its preliminary papers for an initial public offering (IPO) earlier this week.
Source: Paytm Mall’s financial statements
|Revenue||₹775 crore||₹968 crore||₹703 crore|
|Net Loss||₹1,806 crore||₹1,171 crore||₹479 crore|
Even One 97 Communications — the parent company of Paytm — witnessed an errorion of nearly $10 billion dollars from its valuation on the second day of its listing on the stock market. The company was valued at $19.9 billion in its public issue, but its valuation went down to $10 billion when its share prices touched ₹1,200 apiece.
The company currently sits at a market cap of ₹88,174 ($11.69 billion) and its shares are trading at ₹1,355 apiece.
Here’s why Amazon is suing India’s financial investigating agency
Zee Entertainment, Zomato, Medplus Health and other hot stocks on December 23
Data Patterns’ IPO will list on exchanges tomorrow; GMP indicates strong listing at ₹230
Popular on BI
- A startup founder was asked to do a coffee run on her first pitch, now she's among India's richest women
- Pathan, Liger, Godfather: Here’s a list of forthcoming movie releases that will decide the fate of the multiplexes
- Taj Mahal continues to lose its sheen due to pollution in the Yamuna and industrial emissions
- ICICI Bank market-cap hits ₹6 lakh crore as its stock rises to a record high
- Jio, Airtel could emerge stronger weakening Vodafone Idea further, say analysts