Swiggy COO Vivek Sunder will be exiting the company by October, CEO Sriharsha Majety may take over
Vivek Sunderhas over two decades of experience in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) category.
- He joined
Swiggythree years ago in 2018 as the COO and has been holding the position since then.
- CEO Sriharsha Majety added that Sunder has played a pivotal role in expanding Swiggy’s footprint to over 500 cities.
AdvertisementVivek Sunder, the chief operating officer (COO) of Swiggy, has reportedly put in his resignation and will be leaving the food delivery firm by the end of October.
He joined Swiggy three years ago in 2018 as the COO and has been holding the position since then. Swiggy’s chief executive officer (CEO) and cofounder Sriharsha Majety is going to take charge of the marketplace business., according to an internal memo sent to employees. Sources aware of the development have confirmed the development.
Business Insider has reached out to Swiggy, seeking confirmation of the media report. We will be updating the story if and when we receive a response.
In the internal memo, Majety reportedly praised Sunder for playing a very significant role in the growth story of the food delivery giant.
He added, “On the organisational side, Vivek [Sunder] has played a key role in infusing large org[anisation] thinking in the company with a constant focus on scalability. He has also played a pivotal role in laying the seeds of practising deep customer empathy in the way we look at our products and offerings, and leveraging it to come up with simple moves that can drive big gains in consumer perception as opposed to technically complex solutions… Vivek [Sunder] will be missed for his zeal, for always pushing the boundary on consumer thinking and the functional mastery he brought to the table."
Majety also noted that Sunder has played a pivotal role in expanding Swiggy’s geographical footprint to over 500 cities and also helped the company continue its on-ground operations during the Covid-induced lockdown.
Sunder, an Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM-C) alumnus, has over 23 years of experience in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) category. He spent over two decades working with American multinational consumer goods corporation Procter & Gamble, where he has been the country manager for Ethiopia, managing director for east/equatorial Africa region, director of commercial operations and more.
This is the second big exit at the food delivery business in the last one year. Last May, Swiggy’s cofounder and chief technology officer (CTO) Rahul Jaimini exited the company to take up the cofounder’s position at career accelerator startup Pesto Tech.
Jaimini used to lead several verticals and functions like engineering, analytics, information technology (IT) and labs. These functions were later realigned to Dale Vaz, head of engineering and data science at Swiggy. Jaimini continues to be a board member and a shareholder in the company.
Meet Bhavna Suresh — a serial entrepreneur who just raised $40 million in seed funding for her startup 10club
PharmEasy opens up quicker public listing options with its acquisition of Thyrocare
AdvertisementGrofers cofounder Saurabh Kumar exits, says he wants to ‘wander again’
Popular on BI
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Tata Motors to offload 20% stake in upcoming Tata Technologies IPO
- End Of Irrational Exuberance: Five reasons why markets are tanking In the middle of a bull run
- Riskometer: Your guide to choosing the right mutual fund
- Nifty, Sensex see red on weak global trends, unabated foreign fund outflows
- Updater Services’ stock debuts flat on the bourses