The creator of Google wallet just sold his startup for $365 million to GoDaddy
The acquisition will help the Internet names and registrations management major to expand commerce services with integrated payments.
The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2021, GoDaddy said on Tuesday.
"Commerce is critical to our customers and we continue to invest in building seamlessly intuitive experiences that enable small businesses to sell everywhere," GoDaddy CEO Aman Bhutani, said in a statement.
"Poynt accelerates our strategy to provide a complete suite of commerce and payment services to address this critical customer need and focus on a large addressable market opportunity."
The announcement comes at a time when rapid convergence of online and in-person consumer shopping is accelerating the need for small businesses to provide connected commerce experiences across all channels for their customers.
Integrating Poynt with GoDaddy's websites, marketing and WordPress commerce services will enable small businesses to boost sales and customer satisfaction by bridging both online and offline shopping experiences, the company said.
With global distribution via reseller partnerships, Poynt is used by more than 100,000 merchants with over $16 billion in annual Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV).
It offers a suite of products needed for small businesses to sell and accept payments anywhere -- spanning point-of-sale (POS) systems, payments, invoicing, loyalty and rewards programmes, and transaction management.
"Our team is super excited to join forces and help millions of GoDaddy entrepreneurs sell everywhere, in the most seamless experience possible, at a time they couldn't need it more," said Poynt CEO
AdvertisementThe Poynt CEO will join the GoDaddy leadership team and lead a new commerce division.
Popular on BI
- Dr Pepper forced to give $100K prize to BOTH contestants after boos erupt following odd tie-breaker at SEC championship halftime contest
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- World Bank revises India's GDP growth forecast upwards to 6.9% for FY23
- Real estate decarbonisation startup Accacia raises $2.5 million in seed round
- Google Pixel Fold, the company’s foldable phone, could soon become a reality as it appears on Geekbench ahead of its launch next year
- More than one in five people experience violence and harassment at work: ILO
- End of revenge spending? Urban spending to taper off in the next few quarters, says Motilal Oswal