Ahead of its imminent IPO – Zomato CEO says food delivery in India has reached pre-COVID levels
- The foodtech unicorn’s CEO Deepinder Goyal also said that many cities in India have also surpassed their pre-COVID order numbers.
- He added that since the announcement of a country-wide lockdown on March 23,
Zomatohas delivered a total of 9.2 crore orders.
- This surely comes as good news for Zomato which is reportedly heading for an IPO in early 2021.
Happy to share that India food delivery volumes have reached pre-COVID peaks. A number of cities are now at over 12… https://t.co/8zKCsOX1ka— Deepinder Goyal (@deepigoyal) 1602486016000
Goyal also said that going forward, he expects the
In a mid-year report published by the company in September, Zomato had said that Delhi and Mumbai were nearing full recovery (95% of pre-COVID).
And it wasn’t just the order numbers but also the transaction volume that has been increasing for Zomato. “With more premium restaurants, i.e. restaurants where a meal for two may cost ₹1500 and above, now opening up to online delivery, a larger number of affluent consumers are embracing online ordering. Overall spends on such premium restaurants have grown by over 25% over pre-COVID levels,” wrote Goyal in the report.
Good news for Zomato ahead of its IPO
This surely comes as good news for Zomato which is reportedly heading for an IPO in early 2021. While Zomato has a $3.5 billion valuation now, analysts at HSBC peg the valuation to hit $5 billion.
According to reports, Zomato CEO Deepinder Goyal in an email to his employees said that the company is looking to list publicly in the first half of 2021. Goyal also spoke about the company’s funding and said that the company has $250 million in the bank and as their current round wounds up they will have $600 million.
The news came as Zomato raised $102.5 million from Tiger Global Management at a $3.4 billion valuation.
Razorpay is the latest to join the unicorn club with its new $100 million fundraise
Popular on BI
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu