Capitals goalie wows hockey world with what some are calling one of the greatest saves ever during the Stanley Cup Final
- Washington Capitals goalie Braden Holtby made an incredible stick save in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final to preserve the Capitals' win over the Vegas Golden Knights.
- Some are calling it one of the greatest saves ever.
- The save helped the Capitals beat the Knights, 3-2, and even the series at 1-1 as it goes back to Washington.
The Washington Capitals stayed alive in the Stanley Cup Final on Wednesday with a 3-2 win over the Vegas Golden Knights to even the series at 1-1.
Late in the third period, the Knights were making a push to find the tying goal when Capitals goalie Braden Holtby made what some are calling one of the greatest saves ever.
After the puck bounced off the boards behind Holtby, it shot across the crease to Knights center Cody Eakin on the right side. Eakin fired a pass to winger Alex Tuch, who had what appeared to be an easy wrist shot before Holtby leaped across, stopping the shot with his paddle before controlling the puck.
Capitals coach Barry Trotz said the save was a message from the hockey gods.
"To me, it was the hockey gods," Trotz said. "They evened it up from last game. Once he made that save, I knew we were going to win the game."
Capitals forward Jay Beagle said it was the "save of a lifetime."
"You're thinking there's no way that bounces to them across the crease and then comes back across," Beagle said. "Holts just makes the save of the year. Maybe the save of a lifetime. It's unreal."
Plenty of others around the hockey world reacted, too.
Former Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig said it was the greatest save he's ever seen.
Getty photographer Ethan Miller also caught an incredible overhead image of the save:
The save was not only physically incredible - it put home-ice in the Capitals' favor. It held off a game-tying goal from the Knights, a team that has mounted comebacks all season, and evened the series as the Capitals travel back to D.C.
Greatest save I've ever seen!- OlieKolzig (@OlieKolzig37) May 31, 2018
Save of the millennium- Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) May 31, 2018
Every child born in DC for the next month needs to be named Braden- JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) May 31, 2018
- Motorola Edge 40 Neo with with vegan leather back hits the Indian market
- Indian aviation regulator suspends Air India's Chief of Flight Safety
- Checkout the ICC Cricket world cup 2023 matches that will be played in Bengaluru
- India temporarily suspends visa services in Canada
- Updater Services sets IPO price band at Rs 280-300/share