Chipotle just took a major step toward becoming more like Starbucks
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
The burrito chain created a new position for a chief information officer to oversee its mobile app and other technology products, and hired Starbucks' CIO, Curt Garner, to fill the role.
That's big news for Chipotle, considering the fact that Starbucks has one of the most successful apps in the retail industry.
Under Garner, Starbucks' mobile orders have grown to represent 20% of all US sales, the Wall Street Journal reports.
That's a remarkable feat. Retailers have been trying and failing for years to get customers to interact with them on their mobile devices.
Starbucks' rewards program and easy phone payment options have helped it become such a popular download. And the coffee chain keeps improving its technology. Starbucks recently added a new order-and-pay-ahead option to its app.
Garner started working on technology infrastructure for Starbucks nearly two decades ago when it had fewer than 2,000 stores. Starbucks now has more than 22,000 locations worldwide.
Chipotle has roughly 1,850 restaurants, and right now its app doesn't get very high marks from customers. The iPhone app has 2.5 stars out of 5 in iTunes.
In reviews, customers complain that the app isn't very user-friendly and that it can be difficult to customize some orders.
"We are changing the way people think about and eat fast food," Chipotle co-CEO Steve Ells said in a statement on hiring Garner. "Inherent in that vision is our quest to provide the very best restaurant experience we can. As we look for ways to create efficiencies in our restaurants and improve the customer experience through the strategic use of technology, Curt's experience and expertise make him an ideal and welcome addition to our management team."
- Gautam Adani crashes out of the $100 billion club, but still is 10x richer than he was 2 years back
- Understanding Gautam Adani’s rise: a story on how to generate wealth via hope, equity and of course debt
- ISRO announces free online course for students above 10 years – eligibility, how to apply and everything you need to know
- Theatres cross pre-pandemic gross revenue collection despite pricey movie tickets
- Former Twitter India head quits his latest metaverse edtech venture
- Realme Pad X tablet with Snapdragon processor launched in China, coming soon to India – check out price, specifications and features
- Amid rumours of Telegram Premium, the messaging app reportedly drops its ‘free forever’ tag line
- Third-party apps connected to your car may be stealing your data