Coach K had a blunt, but perfect message for his team during a timeout that sparked a 23-point comeback
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
- The No. 2 Duke Blue Devils overcame a 23-point second-half deficit against the No. 16 Louisville Cardinals Tuesday night.
- The Blue Devils trailed 59-36 with 9:58 remaining in the game but surged back and took the lead with just 14 seconds to go, marking the program's largest comeback in 69 years.
- When asked what head coach Mike Krzyzewski told the team to spark the historic comeback, freshman phenom Zion Williamson told ESPN "he said he don't coach losers."
With 10 minutes remaining in their Tuesday-night matchup, the No. 2 Duke Blue Devils trailed the 16th-ranked Louisville Cardinals by 23 points, their largest deficit of the season.But Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski refused to let the young Blue Devils hang their heads, prompting the largest comeback win in the Hall of Fame coach's tenure with the program.
"He said he don't coach losers," Williamson told ESPN after the game. "[He] only coach winners. He said to go out there and play hard, and he could coach us to a win."Krzyzewski elaborated on what he told Williamson and the team in his press conference later that evening:
"I told my team, I said 'You're not losers, but you're playing like losers,'" Krzyzewski said. "February is a crazy
month, because it's a long haul before March, and everybody is hungry. They're trying to make their marks. These kids can already feel like they've made a mark. And so, you're playing against somebody that can be hungrier than you, and our thing going into the game was 'Play harder than them,' and we weren't able to do that. So, that's a lesson for our guys."
A minute later, Louisville's Ryan McMahon was whistled for the block on a Reddish drive, and the Haverford, Pennsylvania, native knocked down both free throws to give Duke its first lead since midway through the first half and cap the comeback victory."We were very fortunate," Krzyzewski said. "That was a great win for us, that their team played us for 30 minutes, not just outplayed, they outcompeted us. I commend them. They probably were more deserving of winning. But, in the last 10 minutes, we were spectacular."
"He said he don't coach losers, only coach winners."- ESPN (@espn) February 13, 2019
Zion shared how Coach K got his team to rally back from a 23-point deficit. pic.twitter.com/EtCtEzJTET
Cam Reddish came up BIG TIME down the stretch for @DukeMBB! He not only drilled the game-tying shot, he also hit the game-winning free throws! ❄️#HereComesDuke #CamFam (@camreddish) pic.twitter.com/NeOI1lXE9J- ACC Digital Network (@theACCDN) February 13, 2019
- HUL aims to achieve 100% plastic waste collection this year
- India now allows you to avail a discount on flight ticket if you are not carrying a check-in baggage
- Leader of Opposition, 4 other Cong MLAs suspended for rest of Budget session over alleged manhandling of Himachal Pradesh Governor. PTI DJI SMN ASH ASH
- Levi’s ad with global ambassador Deepika Padukone aims at inspiring a culture of sisterhood and celebrate individuality
- Property tax in Telangana can now be paid via WhatsApp