Coke is buying a $400 million foothold in China's fast-growing 'multi-grain drinks' market
The deal marks Coke's first takeover in China since the country's antitrust regulator blocked its bid to buy local fruit juice maker Huiyuan in 2010.
Following the disposal of the beverage business, China Culiangwang will continue to develop its consumer products business, the company said in a stock exchange statement. The sale is subject approval from Chinese antitrust approvals.
Coke is paying a premium to China Culiangwang's market value of $230 million. The company's shares, which have more than doubled this year, were suspended ahead of the announcement. They will resume trading on Monday.
"The proposed acquisition is in line with Coca-Cola China's strategy to continue providing a diverse range of beverage products to Chinese consumers with plant-based protein drinks representing a growing beverage category in China," Coke said in a statement.
Established in 1998, China Culiangwang, manufactures red bean and green drinks and owns and sells "Cu Liang Wang" branded beverages and food products.
The beverage business earned a net profit after tax of 193 million yuan ($31 million) for the year to April 2014.
It had assets of HK$1.7 billion ($219 million) as of end October, 2014.
Standard Chartered acted as the exclusive financial advisory to China Culiangwang, the statement said.
(Reporting by Denny Thomas; additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in Beijing; editing by Jason Neely)
- Realme 10 Pro+ 5G Review: An all-round value smartphone
- Sensex snaps 4-session losing run led by PSU banks
- The future is connected: 80% of traditional TV viewers want to switch in a year says Finecast Kantar
- Electric-vehicle financing startup Vidyut raises $4 million in first round of funding
- RIL, Adani Enterprises are the biggest and most consistent wealth creators: Motilal Oswal
- Realme10 Pro Plus Mobile
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Adani Enterprises
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World