Mark Cuban-backed Polygon raises nearly half a billion dollars from 40 VCs led by Sequoia
- The round was led by Sequoia Capital India, followed by the likes of SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
Polygonwas founded by Sandeep Nailwal, Jaynti Kanani and Anurag Arjun in 2017.
- The funds will be raised through a private sale of Polygon’s native MATIC token.
The round was led by Sequoia Capital India, followed by the likes of SoftBank Vision Fund 2, Galaxy Digital, Galaxy Interactive, Tiger Global, Republic Capital and others. Brevan Howard’s Alan Howard and Canadian businessman Kevin O’Leary, popularly known as Mr Wonderful on ABC’s Shark Tank, also participated in the round.
“Thousands of developers across a range of applications are choosing Polygon and their complete set of scaling solutions for the Ethereum ecosystem.”
The funds will be raised through a private sale of Polygon’s native MATIC token. The cryptocurrency did dip during the January doldrums, but its price is back up at ₹151 as of February 8 at 11:00 a.m., Indian Standard Time (IST).
Polygon is among the top 20 biggest cryptocurrencies in the world with a market value of ₹1.1 lakh crore.
What is Polygon?
Polygon, originally known as the Matic Network, launched back in 2017 with Sandep Nailwal, Anurag Arjun and Jaynti Kanani as its founders. The platform is built around the Ethereum blockchain, which can be used for developing other decentralised apps (DApps) like decentralised finance (DeFi) and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and decentralised autonomous organisations (DAOs).
“Ethereum, scaled by Polygon, will be the bedrock of this next stage in the Web’s evolution. Technological disruption didn’t start with Web2, nor is it going to end there.”
Decentraland, one of the biggest metaverse projects in the world right now, added Polygon to its platform in 2021 to solve the issues that users were facing with Ethereum. OVR, an augmented reality (AR) metaverse based on Ethereum, also moved over to Polygon recently due to Ethereum’s inherent issues.
Overall, the Polygon network has more than 130 million unique addresses and over 2.67 million monthly active users who are generating some 3 million transactions per day.
The company had raised a “ sizable investment” from US-based billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban last May. Just last month, Polygon onboarded YouTube’s head of gaming, Ryan Wyatt, to lead Polygon Studios — the part of its business that works on bringing game and other media entities onto the network.
Adani Wilmar, TVS Motor, Bharti Airtel, IRCTC and other hot stocks on February 8
Future Group’s Kishore Biyani, Mohandas Pai and 68 others invest in former Twitter India head’s latest startup
- Elon Musk said Twitter will start showing users how many people have seen their tweets, and got Jack Dorsey's approval
- A janitor laid off at Twitter's headquarters said one of Elon Musk's team members told him he'd be replaced by robots
- Adani Group to have two nominees on NDTV's board after proposal approved
- Cyclone Mandous weakens into deep depression after crossing coast in TN
- India abstains on UNSC resolution exempting aid from sanctions, says terror groups in neighbourhood take advantage of carve-outs
- BSF, Pak Rangers exchange fire along international border in Rajasthan
- Indians report unexpected rise in heart attacks, says survey
- WHO concerned over increasing antibiotic resistance in human infections