About 200 million people trade bitcoin – but only 6 are billionaires
- Of about 200 people globally who trade bitcoin, just six are billionaires, Henley & Partners found.
- Meanwhile, 22 people worldwide have reached billionaire status by trading cryptocurrencies.
Hundreds of millions of people trade crypto and bitcoin – but only six have reached billionaire status.
According to Henley & Partners' Crypto Wealth Report, some 425 million people use crypto globally, with bitcoin accounting for just under half that number.
There are 88,200 crypto millionaires, 182 centi-millionaires (worth $100 million or more), while 22 individuals have crypto assets worth $1 billion, the report found.
Investing in bitcoin has also proved a lucrative investment for some – there's about 40,500 people who have crypto holdings worth $1 million, while six own bitcoin assets valued at $1 billion, per the report.
The findings come as bitcoin, the world's largest cryptocurrency, dropped 11% in August. That was the second consecutive monthly decline amid a broader sell-off in stocks and bonds.
Bitcoin was trading at about $25,758 on Thursday.
The token soared about 80% in the first six months of 2023 and is still up more than 55% year-to-date despite August's losses.
That's come as the Federal Reserve hiked interest rates at a historically fast pace to combat inflation. Higher borrowing costs usually weigh on high-risk assets such as crypto.
Some market experts remain bullish on bitcoin despite the recent signs of stress – and some even claim the token could hit $100,000 by 2025.
- Unveiling the impact of Flipkart on innovation and growth in seller success stories
- PM Modi moves to increase Jan Aushadhi Kendras, launches Drone Didi Yojana
- Arijit most streamed singer in India in 2023; Taylor Swift dominates global chart
- 10 simple diet changes for rapid belly fat loss
- From Redmi to Vivo – Smartphones set to hit the Indian market in December