Avalanche-based DeFi platform Vee Finance says it's lost $35 million in ether and bitcoin in a crypto hack
NurPhoto / Getty Images
- Vee Finance said on Tuesday a total of 8,804.7 ether and 213.93 in bitcoin had been attacked on Monday.
- The company said they located the address that collated $35 million worth of
cryptoand suspended it.
- This is the second major
hackon an avalanche-based platform in a week.
AdvertisementAvalanche-based decentralized finance (DeFi) platform Vee Finance said Tuesday it had been hacked and a total of around $35 million worth of bitcoin and ether had been stolen by a single account.
Vee Finance, a crypto payment company, announced Sunday the total value locked on its platform was $300 million. Some 8,804.7 ether and 213.93 bitcoin fell prey to Monday's attack. The company updated its clients and advised them to not use its services on Wednesday .
This is the second attack on an avalanche-based platform in a week. The first hack was on Zabu Finance, a DeFi protocol that supports peer-to-peer activity without a central player like a bank or broker, which said it had lost $3.2 million to an attack on September 13.
"According to address monitoring, the attacker has not yet transferred, or processed, the attacked assets any further. We are actively dealing with it and have proactively communicated to the attacker on the chain," Vee Finance said in a statement.
"At the same time, we are working with contract auditors and exchanges in the industry to locate the attacker and assist in recovering the assets," Vee Finance added.
The company, whose partners include the
Vee Finance said they were able to locate the address, suspend it and had stopped the deposit-and-borrow function. All pending orders had been suspended and no new ones could be created, it said. However, it said existing users can still withdraw money and their stablecoin section was not affected.
Popular on BI
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a positive note amid positive global cues: Adani Enterprises, Tata Motors, Bajaj Finance among stocks in focus
- 86-year-old removes ‘retirement’ from his dictionary to become a startup founder
- Two Indian-born mathematicians US, Canada get Padma awards
- Equal-weight index: For diversified investments with low volatility
- I wish we move ahead unitedly, PM Modi extends greetings on country's 74th Republic Day