Bank of America is launching a crypto research team as institutional interest in digital assets rises
- The new operation will be run by Alkesh Shah, who previously led the firm's Global Technology Specialist team, according to a memo obtained by Insider. Bloomberg was first to report.
Cryptocurrenciesand digital assets constitute one of the fastest growing emerging technology ecosystems," the memo said.
- Joining Shah's team are Mamta Jain and Andrew Moss.
The new operation will be run by Alkesh Shah, who previously led the firm's global technology specialist team, according to a memo obtained by Insider. Bloomberg was first to report. Shah will report to Michael Maras, the head of global fixed-income, currency, and commodity research for
The memo, dated July 8, was written by Candace Browning, head of global research, and addressed to Merrill Lynch Wealth Management employees and partners.
"Cryptocurrencies and digital assets constitute one of the fastest growing emerging technology ecosystems," Browning said, adding that the sector is currently valued at about $2 trillion.
She continued: "We are uniquely positioned to provide thought leadership due to our strong industry research analysis, market-leading global payments platform and our blockchain expertise."
Shah, who has 20 years of experience in technology and research, will cover global cryptocurrency, digital assets, and the related ecosystem, Browning said. He joined the bank in 2013 from Morgan Stanley and Lehman Brothers. He holds a BA from Cornell University and an MBA from Columbia Business School.
Joining his team are Mamta Jain - who has past experience in mobile and digital strategy for global banking and
The latest move by Bank of America comes after
Read more: A crypto evangelist shares 5 altcoins that could explode in value, including one with 100-times potential - and breaks down his 3-part strategy for betting on speculative but potentially rewarding tokens
- Samsung launches Galaxy S23, S23 Plus and S23 Ultra - All you need to know about the new flagship phones
- First Impressions: Samsung Galaxy S23, S23 Plus, and S23 Ultra bet big on photography and gaming
- Gautam Adani takes the high road and calls off Adani Enterprises FPO after a 28% crash in stock price
- Budget Impact: 10 stocks that stand to gain from FM’s announcements
- Budget to boost confidence of global investors and rating agencies on the India story