Barclays bans UK customers from making card payments to Binance, citing a notice from the national regulator
Barclaysbanned UK customers from making card payments to Binanceon Monday.
- The bank acted after UK financial watchdog the FCA told the
cryptoexchange to halt regulated activity.
- Barclays said the move does not impact the ability to withdraw funds from Binance.
Barclays, one of the top British banks by assets, suspended debit and credit card payments to crypto-trading platform Binance on Monday, citing a notice from the country's financial services regulator.
Customers received a phone text message from the bank to notify them about the move.
"As you've made a payment to Binance this year, we wanted to let you know that we're stopping payments made by credit/debit card to them until further notice. This is to help keep your money safe," the message read.
The UK's financial services regulator on June 26 ordered Binance to halt any regulated operations - effectively, a ban on Binance
But experts have told Insider it's just the start of a broader crackdown by regulators, as governments feel emboldened to take on crypto platforms the way they have gone up against Big Tech.
Barclays' customers immediately took to Twitter to express frustration over the sudden ban, with some threatening to close their accounts.
Barclays told Insider that it would continue to review its position on the length of restriction, but "the safety of our customers' money will be at the forefront of any decision."
"This action does not impact on the ability for customers to withdraw funds from Binance," a spokesperson from the bank said.
Binance said in a tweet on Monday that it was disappointed to learn about some partners taking unilateral action to stop servicing its users "based on what appears to be an inaccurate understanding of events."
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says
- Elon Musk may produce 'alternative' smartphones to compete with Apple, Android
- India sees a single-day rise of new 389 coronavirus infections, tally rises to 5,30,608