Biden is preparing to sign an executive order to expand US oversight of the $2 trillion cryptocurrency market
- US President Joe Biden is reportedly set to sign an executive order aimed at unifying the government's oversight of the cryptocurrency market.
- The order is expected to direct federal agencies to study potential regulations and policies for digital currencies.
US President Joe Biden will sign an executive order that directs federal agencies to study and craft a comprehensive plan that would unify the government's oversight of the cryptocurrency market, according to news reports.
The order is expected to be signed this week and should describe what the
Two sources told the AP that work on the order began well before Russia's invasion of Ukraine nearly two weeks ago. The
There is no one regulatory agency that oversees the cryptocurrency market which last year swelled to a value of more than $3 trillion. The value has declined to $1.8 trillion as of Tuesday on pullbacks in prices for bitcoin, ether, and other digital currencies.
Biden's executive order will require government agencies later this year to report on what they're doing related to digital tokens, Bloomberg reported, adding that the directive is also expected to address the possibility of the US issuing a central bank digital currency, or
But the administration may hold off on taking a firm position on the creation of a US CBDC as the Federal Reserve is still studying the issue, the report said.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Meet the newest employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar