'Big Short' investor Michael Burry warns the 'mother of all crashes' is coming - and predicts crypto and meme stocks will plummet
Michael Burrypredicted meme stocksand cryptocurrencies will plummet.
The Big Short" investor warned the "mother of all crashes" is coming.
- Burry pointed to excessive leverage as a major problem for crypto.
Casual investors buying meme stocks and cryptocurrencies are signing up for devastating losses, Michael Burry warned on Thursday.
"All hype/speculation is doing is drawing in retail before the mother of all crashes," the investor tweeted. "When crypto falls from trillions, or meme stocks fall from tens of billions, #MainStreet losses will approach the size of countries."
Burry added that people's fear of missing out has propelled asset prices to unsustainable levels. "#FOMO Parabolas don't resolve sideways," he cautioned.
"The problem with #Crypto, as in most things, is the leverage," he tweeted. "If you don't know how much leverage is in crypto, you don't know anything about crypto."
Burry returned to Twitter this week after deleting his profile in April. He's previously used the social-media platform to issue warnings about Tesla - which he's short - as well as GameStop,
The Scion chief has attracted a cult following since he anticipated the housing-market crash that precipitated the global financial crisis. His billion-dollar bet against the bubble was chronicled in the book and the movie "The Big Short."
Burry also helped pave the way for the GameStop short squeeze in January, which kicked off the meme-stock boom. He bought a stake in the video-game retailer in 2019 and wrote several letters to its board, emboldening retail investors to bet on the stock.
Read more: DEUTSCHE BANK: Buy these 16 small- and mid-cap stocks from the bank's consistently market crushing portfolio - including 2 expected to surge over 50%
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May