'Big Short' investor Michael Burry warns the 'mother of all crashes' is coming - and predicts crypto and meme stocks will plummet
Michael Burrypredicted meme stocksand cryptocurrencies will plummet.
The Big Short" investor warned the "mother of all crashes" is coming.
- Burry pointed to excessive leverage as a major problem for crypto.
Casual investors buying meme stocks and cryptocurrencies are signing up for devastating losses, Michael Burry warned on Thursday.
"All hype/speculation is doing is drawing in retail before the mother of all crashes," the investor tweeted. "When crypto falls from trillions, or meme stocks fall from tens of billions, #MainStreet losses will approach the size of countries."
Burry added that people's fear of missing out has propelled asset prices to unsustainable levels. "#FOMO Parabolas don't resolve sideways," he cautioned.
"The problem with #Crypto, as in most things, is the leverage," he tweeted. "If you don't know how much leverage is in crypto, you don't know anything about crypto."
Burry returned to Twitter this week after deleting his profile in April. He's previously used the social-media platform to issue warnings about Tesla - which he's short - as well as GameStop,
The Scion chief has attracted a cult following since he anticipated the housing-market crash that precipitated the global financial crisis. His billion-dollar bet against the bubble was chronicled in the book and the movie "The Big Short."
Burry also helped pave the way for the GameStop short squeeze in January, which kicked off the meme-stock boom. He bought a stake in the video-game retailer in 2019 and wrote several letters to its board, emboldening retail investors to bet on the stock.
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Republic Day 2022 – Here is a list of wishes and messages you can send to your fellow citizens
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- OPINION: Experts’ guide to understanding the role of DeFi in digital finance
- OpenSea is returning the millions users lost due to a bug
- Indian crypto exchanges, influencers fall prey to hacks promoting crypto scam
- OPINION: Tax consolidation schemes is the need of the hour for India’s renewable energy sector
- Brands celebrate Republic Day with patriotic fervour