Bitcoin falls 7% after China reportedly bans banks from cryptocurrency business
- Bitcoin's recovery from Monday's sell-off lost steam on Tuesday after Reuters reported that China banned financial companies from the cryptocurrency business.
- A statement from China regulators said virtual currencies "are not supported by real value," the report said.
- China has not restricted individuals from holding
cryptocurrencies, but did warn about their speculative nature.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Three Chinese industry bodies released a statement warning investors about the speculative and volatile nature of cryptocurrencies, adding that they "are not supported by real value," according to the report.
Those three industry bodies were the National Internet
The statement also said cryptocurrency prices can be easily manipulated, according to the report. China has banned initial coin offerings and crypto exchanges, but does not restrict individuals from holding them.
US companies are pouncing on the opportunity in cryptocurrencies, with Square's CashApp and PayPal's Venmo facilitating the buying and selling of bitcoin. Banks have created trading desks and funds dedicated to bitcoin.
Bitcoin's volatility has been on full display in recent days, as Tesla CEO Elon Musk sparked a near 20% sell-off in the cryptocurrency after the EV company stopped accepting it as a form of payment. Several tweets from Musk also cast doubt on his bullishness on bitcoin, as he questioned its high energy consumption needs.
Read more: 'Wolf of All Streets' crypto trader Scott Melker breaks down his strategy for making money using 'HODLing' and 100X trade opportunities - and shares 5 under-the-radar tokens he thinks could explode
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again