Companies are piling in to back China's efforts to build a metaverse as projections for global growth in the space reach trillions of dollars
Iryna Veklich/Getty Images
- A state-backed group in
Chinahas added more companies to its committee focused on developing the metaverse, reports said Wednesday.
- State-owned China Mobile started the committee that's working on creating standards and discussing technology projects for the emerging industry.
AdvertisementChina is extending its push to put its stamp on the development of the online virtual world known as the metaverse, enlisting more companies to work on related technological and industry projects, according to reports Wednesday.
The China Mobile Communication Association's metaverse industry committee has added 17 new companies to its roster, and three of them are publicly listed in local
State-owned China Mobile started the committee last year and is focused on creating standards and discussing technology projects for the emerging industry.
The committee is among the initiatives that involve state-backed groups and local officials in China seeking stakes in metaverse companies, according to the Financial Times. Its report Wednesday noted that a district in Beijing last month established a fund to help financially support metaverse start-ups and research.
China's Huawei Technologies and Facebook's parent company Meta Platforms are among major tech companies putting money and resources into metaverse activities.
Analysts have predicted the metaverse will be a massive growth opportunity, with Goldman Sachs projecting it to become an $8 trillion market.
Popular on BI
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role
- Victory of Modi's guarantees, say BJP leaders as party sweeps states states