Dogecoin, Merck's antiviral pill, and Nicole Kidman: Here's what AMC CEO and meme-stock icon Adam Aron has been talking about
AMCCEO Adam Aronis well known for communicating directly with investors and fans of the meme stock.
- Recently, he's hyped up
dogecoin, new commercials from Nicole Kidman, and Merck's COVID-19 pill.
- "The beneficial implications for @AMCTheatres of this new anti-COVID pill are mind-blowing," Aron tweeted.
Adam Aron has been ramping up his status as the meme-stock generation's leader on Twitter lately.
The AMC chief executive officer, who has garnered a massive following from
In a Sept. 21 tweet, the AMC chief posted a Twitter poll asking if AMC should start accepting dogecoin along with other
Tesla CEO Elon Musk liked the poll, and billionaire investor Mark Cuban responded that Bitpay can accept dogecoin. "I am so delighted by the interest in #AMCandDogecoin!" Aron said in one tweet.
In another, he praised Musk. "I never thought I would see this day. @ElonMusk liked my Dogecoin Twitter Poll tweet. If you happen to see this tweet too Mr. Musk, congratulations on Tesla and SpaceX."
Then on Friday, Aron cheered Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics seeking the US Food and Drug Administration's approval for its antiviral COVID-19 pill that halved the risk of death or hospitalization from the coronavirus.
"Wow, wow, wow… wow, wow. MOLNUPIRAVIR. The beneficial implications for @AMCTheatres of this new anti-COVID pill are mind-blowing and breathtaking … Oh, the miracles of modern medicine. Thank you, @Merck! MOLNUPIRAVIR," Aron wrote on Twitter on Oct. 1.
AMC was hit particularly hard by COVID-19, as the pandemic caused movie theaters to shutter and diverted new film releases to streaming services.
In an effort to get people back to the movies, AMC partnered with actress Nicole Kidman to make three 30-second commercials. Aron was excited.
"We had a world class team on this effort. Oscar nominee Billy Ray wrote them. Oscar nominee Jeff Cronenweth filmed them. Oscar winner Nicole Kidman starred in them," he said in a September 28 tweet.
AMC has been a stalwart of the meme stock movement this year, and Aron has leaned into his role as an icon among the Wall Street Bets crowd. For the millions of individual investors gathering on social media who call each other "apes," Aron is the "Silverback."
He's reached out to them on YouTube and Twitter, and even offered investor perks like free popcorn. He also has pounced on investor interest and raised money through multiple equity offerings this year to help shore up the balance sheet. The stock has had an eye-popping run in 2021, rising over 1,600% and leading some analysts to say the price is detached from reality.
On October 1, as #AMCtothemoon trended on Twitter, Aron reached out to his investors directly. "Sincerely and humbly, it is the honor and privilege of a lifetime to work for so many of you. YOU, who are the owners of @AMCTheatres."
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams
- Gas stoves create more nanoparticle pollution than a busy street with diesel and gas cars, study finds