Elon Musk says he's been supporting Dogecoin in response to people who are 'not that wealthy' asking him to do so
Elon Musksays he backs Dogecoinbecause people who are "not that wealthy" asked him to do so.
- Dogecoin and other
cryptocurrencieshave plummeted in recent weeks.
Elon Musk is a vocal supporter of Dogecoin, and now he has explained exactly why he backs the cryptocurrency.
Speaking at the Qatar Economic Forum on Tuesday, Musk said he buys and backs it because people "who are not that wealthy" have asked him to, according to Bloomberg.
"I just know a lot of people who are not that wealthy who, you know, have encouraged me to buy and support Dogecoin," Musk said in an interview with Bloomberg News Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait at the forum. "I'm responding to those people."
Dogecoin often fluctuates based on Musk's remarks on it. On Sunday, it jumped 8.5% in the span of 24 hours from near-record lows after Musk tweeted he'd keep supporting and buying the meme token amid a frenzied cryptocurrency sell-off. Last May, Dogecoin plummeted when Musk appeared on Saturday Night Live and called it a "hustle."
Dogecoin was created as a joke in 2013 but gained more investors over the years partly thanks to tweets about it from figures like Musk, Mark Cuban, and Snoop Dogg.
Besides Dogecoin, Musk has also expressed his support for other cryptocurrencies. In October, Musk said he owns Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and ether. In January, Tesla started accepting payments in Dogecoin for some merchandise.
Last week, Musk was sued for $258 billion by a Dogecoin investor accusing him of engaging in a "pyramid scheme by way of dogecoin cryptocurrency."
Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report