Elon Musk trumpets his skills, touts dogecoin over bitcoin, and defends his Twitter habit in 2 new interviews. Here are the 15 best quotes.
Elon Muskchampioned dogecoin over bitcoin and defended his colorful tweets.
Teslaand SpaceXCEO crowed about his abilities and shared his vision for a Mars colony.
Elon Musk trumpeted his own abilities, touted dogecoin over bitcoin, and defended his controversial Twitter habit in interviews with Time and the Financial Times, which both named him as their "Person of the Year" this week.
The Tesla and SpaceX CEO — the world's richest person, with an estimated $250 billion fortune — also outlined his vision for a Mars colony and unexpectedly praised Warren Buffett.
Here are Musk's 15 best tweets from the two interviews, lightly edited and condensed for clarity:
1. "How have Tesla and SpaceX succeeded when other companies have far more resources and money than I do? The problem is they can't hire me."
2. "I am very good at technology and engineering. Everyone's got their talents, that's one of mine. I can't sing or dance, but I can do that."
3. "I don't think there's a lot of people who would actually want to trade places." — noting that he works 80-to-90 hours a week and doesn't own a house or boat or take any vacations.
4. "No one has ever made a fully reusable orbital rocket of any kind whatsoever. We just live on a planet where this is an extremely difficult job. If this was a video game, the setting is on 'maximum' but not 'impossible.'"
5. "The next really big thing is to build a self-sustaining city on Mars and bring the animals and creatures of Earth there. Sort of like a futuristic Noah's ark. We'll bring more than two, though—it's a little weird if there's only two."
6. "I'll be surprised if we're not landing on Mars within five years."
7. "We did Tesla essentially out of desperation — not because we thought it would be lucrative, but just to show that it could be done."
8. "Bitcoin may be a store of value, but it is not a good substitute for transactional currency. Even though it was created as a silly joke, dogecoin is better suited for transactions." — Musk noted dogecoin allows more transactions per day, and its built-in inflation encourages people not to hoard it.
9. "You want those who are managing capital to be good stewards of capital. And I think the government is inherently not a good steward of capital." — justifying his resistance to taxing billionaires' wealth.
10. "I'm not Warren Buffett's biggest fan, frankly. But he's not engaged in insane, conspicuous consumption. So you have to say, 'Sure, he's got a high net worth, but he's doing a useful job for the economy, and he's very skilled at it and should probably keep doing it.'"
11. "I don't really think about brand optimization to be frank. That's obvious from my tweets, which are often self-inflicted wounds."
12. "I mean, are you not entertained? I'm not saying I don't make foolish tweets, of course I do. There are times when I shoot myself in the foot. But on balance, it's entertaining and interesting, informative, whatever."
14. "This place is basically a technology monastery. There are some women here, but not many, and it's remote, and we do technology, so this is a technomonastery." — joking about why he doesn't have a girlfriend.
15. "I'm just trying to get people to Mars, enable freedom of information with Starlink, accelerate sustainable technology with Tesla, and free people from the drudgery of driving. It's certainly possible that the road to hell to some degree is paved with good intentions — but the road to hell is mostly paved with bad intentions."
Read more: 'We are clearly in a bubble right now': A Wharton blockchain and digital assets professor breaks down why the metaverse and web 3.0 are still 'too early to be real' — and why investors should expect a crypto shakeout in the year ahead
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who like ‘the common man’
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi