Ether hits two-week high close to $2,400 as excitement builds over major ethereum network upgrades
- Ether rose to a two-week high of close to $2,400 on Sunday before paring its gains.
- The token was boosted by investor excitement about network upgrades, Coinbase analysts said.
marketsas a whole have rebounded somewhat after a sharp sell-off in May and June.
Ether rose to a two-week high on Sunday evening as the second-biggest cryptocurrency was boosted by upcoming network upgrades and a rebound in the crypto market as a whole.
The native cryptocurrency of the ethereum network rose as high as $2,392 on Sunday, its highest level since mid-June, according to CoinGecko data.
It then fell somewhat and traded at around $2,296 on Monday. Ether was around 900% higher than a year ago on Monday, but down more than 47% from its May record high of $4,357, CoinGecko data showed.
Analysts at Coinbase said the exchange - the biggest in the US - had seen a pick-up in interest in ether, relative to bitcoin, over the last week.
Read more: The head of digital assets research at a $71 billion money manager breaks down how ethereum can reach $2 trillion in market cap in a 'blue sky scenario' - and shares what could be next for crypto after DeFi and NFT
The analysts said upcoming upgrades to the ethereum network were attracting buyers. "Sentiment remains positive with
EIP-1559 is an upgrade that will change the network so that ether coins start to be destroyed, limiting the supply and potentially boosting the price.
The upgrades are currently working their way through the ethereum system and are expected to come fully into force in the next two months.
The broader cryptocurrency market has shown resilience in the last couple of weeks after sharp falls in May.
Coinbase's analysts said reports that George Soros' fund was trading bitcoin was one factor that may have boosted crypto markets.
Yet many analysts are concerned about regulatory crackdowns, which UBS has said could pop what it called the crypto bubble.
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024