Ether trading volumes surged by over 1,000% in the first half of this year, easily beating bitcoin's growth for the first time
- Ether's trading volume growth surpassed
bitcoin's in the first half of 2021, Coinbasereported.
- Total bitcoin volume rose 489% to $2.1 trillion, while
ethersurged 1,461% to $1.4 trillion from a year ago.
- This was the first time ether's trading activity beat bitcoin's for a sustained period, the data showed.
Ethereum's native token outperformed bitcoin and other major cryptocurrencies in trading volumes in the first half of 2021, figures from the largest US
Ether's trading volumes surged 1,461% to $1.4 trillion in the first six months of the year, up from $92 billion a year ago, according to the report released Monday. That compares with a relatively lower 489% jump in bitcoin's trading volume to $2.1 trillion, up from $356 billion the same time last year.
The data from Coinbase showed this was the first time ether's trading volume growth topped bitcoin's for a sustained period.
Total crypto market cap kicked off the year at $769 billion, and ended the period 86% higher at $1.4 trillion, the data showed.
Ether has uses beyond being a value token, as products such as smart contracts can be built on top of the
Factors that contributed to ether's outperformance include increased usage of decentralized finance, or DeFi, applications and investor optimism for ethereum's upgrade to "ETH 2.0," Coinbase said in the report.
The US crypto exchange said many large institutional clients - including hedge funds, endowments, and corporates - grew or added to their ether holdings in the first half of 2021.
Ether and bitcoin have both surged in price, rising 210% and 37% respectively so far this year. Ether was last trading 4% higher at $2,297, and bitcoin was up 7% at $39,918 as of 4:00 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons