Germany seizes $25 million in bitcoin by shutting down illegal darknet marketplace 'Hydra Market'
The authorities shut down the server infrastructure for Hydra which is a huge marketplace on
"Among other things, there is a suspicion of the commercial operation of criminal trading platforms on the Internet, the commercial procurement or granting of an opportunity for the unauthorised purchase or the unauthorised sale of narcotics as well as commercial money laundering," said Germany's Central Office for Combating Cybercrime (
The illegal marketplace had been accessible via the
"Their focus was on trading in illegal narcotics. In addition, data spied out worldwide, forged documents and digital services were offered profitably via the platform," the BKA said in a statement late on Tuesday.
Around 17 million customers and over 19,000 seller accounts were registered on the marketplace.
According to ZIT and BKA estimates, "Hydra Market" was probably the illegal marketplace with the highest turnover worldwide."
"In particular, the Bitcoin Bank Mixer, a service for obfuscating digital transactions provided by the platform, made crypto investigations extremely difficult for law enforcement agencies," said the German authorities.
Cryptocurrency investigation firm Chainanalysis recently found $200 million in stolen cryptocurrency on the platform in 2021 and early 2022.
Best performing cryptocurrencies in 2022 so far
Top 10 companies to grow your career in India according to Linkedin
Popular on BI
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- Putin signs unification treaties for new regions
- Meta shuts Bulletin newsletter, refocuses on algorithm to take on TikTok
- Biden sends letter to Yoon expressing willingness for talks on IRA
- India reports 2,468 fresh Covid cases, 17 deaths
- TRS meeting underway to convert itself into national party