Jack Dorsey says Square is launching a bitcoin-focused DeFi business
David Becker / Getty Images
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey announced on Thursday that
Squarewould launch a decentralized finance business focused on bitcoin.
- In his tweet, Dorsey promised the project would be fully open in terms of strategic planning and day-to-day development.
DeFihas seen an explosion in interest of late, with hundreds of projects being launched.
AdvertisementTwitter CEO Jack Dorsey announced on Thursday that Square, his payments company, would launch a decentralized finance business focused on bitcoin.
The announcement came via tweet, in which Dorsey said Square would start building an as-of-yet unnamed "open developer platform." The project, led by a strategic director at Square's Cash App, will enable "non-custodial, permissionless, and decentralized financial services" for bitcoin, said Dorsey.
In his tweet, Dorsey promised the project would be fully open, both in terms of strategic planning and day-to-day development. The announcement comes a week after Square committed to building a bitcoin hardware wallet, letting users take ownership of their crypto-tokens without a third-party custodian.
Decentralized finance, or DeFi, has seen an explosion in interest of late, with hundreds of projects being launched. But most attention has been paid to ethereum-based applications like Uniswap and Maker.
Square's entry is likely to give a boost to bitcoin DeFi, an emerging space that is set to benefit from an upcoming protocol update. There are currently 26 active bitcoin DeFi projects, according to DeFi Prime.
Square was trading at $236.96 as of 10:46 a.m. ET, slightly up so far on the day.
For a more in-depth discussion, come on over to Business Insider Cryptosphere — a forum where users can deep dive into all things
Twitter alternative built on Ethereum will let users monetise their posts and come up with their own rules
Ethereum’s co-founder wants to be more than just ‘the crypto guy’ as he exits the industry
Dogecoin jumps 10% after Elon Musk’s Twitter profile picture change
Popular on BI
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- Google's head of mental health and wellbeing was among the 12,000 workers laid off by the tech giant
- Mercedes-Benz says it has achieved Level 3 automation, which requires less driver input, surpassing the self-driving capabilities of Tesla and other major US automakers
- Grit, tears, joy: Novak Djokovic claims his 10th Australian Open crown, moves closer to ending the GOAT debate
- Manu Kumar Jain departs from Xiaomi, nearly a decade after working for the Chinese smartphone maker
- L&T reports ₹2,553 crore Q3 net profit, sees boost from major private capex investments
- Tech Mahindra’s Q3 net profit slips 5.2% on year to ₹1,297 crore
- Rumors suggest OnePlus is testing V Fold and V Flip foldable smartphones