LimeWire is coming back as an NFT marketplace a decade after shutting down following battle with music industry group
LimeWireis resurrecting as an NFT marketplaceafter being shut down years ago as a peer-to-peer file-sharing platform.
- The NFT operations will go live in May with a waitlist now open.
LimeWire is preparing to relaunch as a marketplace for non-fungible tokens, making the move more than 10 years after shutting its doors as a file-sharing platform for music and other digital entertainment.
The company on Wednesday said it has set up a waitlist for people interested in joining its NFT marketplace when it goes live in May. The site will allow people to buy and trade music-related assets, its initial focus.
LimeWire's resurgence comes after a judge in 2010 issued a permanent injunction that stopped the company from allowing users to share music files. The order resulted from a copyright infringement lawsuit by the Recording Industry Association of America, or
LimeWire on Wednesday said it's aiming to bring 1 million users to its NFT platform within the first year through partnerships with major artists in the
"It's important to note that we are not relaunching LimeWire as an alternative to streaming platforms, but rather as an additional channel for artists to sell exclusive music and art directly to collectors. We will also offer a unique method for artists to connect and engage with their most loyal community of fans," said Julian Zehetmayr, LimeWire's Co-CEO, in a statement. The Austrian entrepreneur and his brother, Paul, purchased the rights to LimeWire, according to a Bloomberg report.
Onboarding should be "easy for NFT newbies," with items such as unreleased demos and graphical artwork to be priced in US dollars, the company said, adding that there will be no
About 10 "really big mainstream" artists have signed on to be a part of LimeWire, Julian told Bloomberg. The report said members of the management teams behind legendary rap group Wu-Tang Clan and R&B singer H.E.R. will join LimeWire's board as advisers.
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams