Litecoin surges, then plummets after fake press release says Walmart will partner with the coin for payments
Jonathan Newton / The Washington Post via Getty Images
- Litecoin spiked and then sharply fell Monday morning after a fake press release said that
Walmartis partnering with the coin for payments.
- The cryptocurrency rose as much as 25% before reversing after GlobalNewsWire released a statement about the partnership.
- Walmart told CNBC the press release is fake.
AdvertisementLitecoin spiked and then sharply fell Monday morning after a fake press release said that Walmart is partnering with the coin for payments.
In less than an hour on Monday morning, the coin spiked 25% to a peak of $231 and then sharply tumbled to $179.
The coin soared immediately after GlobalNewsWire published a press release saying that Walmart has announced a "major partnership with
"Walmart will offer their shoppers to use Litecoin to benefit from the features of the cryptocurrency," read the press release.
Shortly after, users on Twitter began to doubt the press release's validity, pointing out that the official litecoin account retweeted the press release, and then deleted it. Walmart also did not publish the release on its website.
Litecoin then tumbled after a Walmart spokesperson told CNBC that the press release was fake.
The cryptocurrency traded around $180 as of 10:35 am ET Monday.
Read more: 5 altcoins to buy as institutions adopt crypto, according to a financial advisor who works with retired millionaires and predicts bitcoin will surge to $90,000
Popular on BI
- Silicon Valley needs to stop laying off workers and start firing CEOs
- A laid-off Google engineer describes losing his 'only career' 16 years after starting as an intern
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- OnePlus launches seven new products at its Cloud 11 event—here’s everything about the OnePlus 11, Buds Pro 2, Keyboard 81 Pro and more
- OnePlus 11 vs iQOO 11 – price, specs and features compared
- OnePlus 11 5G review: High on value, low on excitement
- Delhi to Kochi - Indian destinations international travellers are looking for in 2023
- Post pandemic, more organizations are moving towards e-recruitment, says a survey by HirePro