Mysterious dogecoin whale sees holdings value plummet by 67% from peak, to $8 billion, amid crypto meltdown
- A far-reaching
cryptomeltdown has led to a 70% decline in dogecoinsince its peak in early May.
- A mysterious whale owns about 28% of the dogecoin supply.
- The value of its holdings had plummeted to $8.2 billion as of Monday from $24 billion in May.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
View all Offers
- 13% OFF
Duroflex Back Magic - Doctor Recommended Orthopaedic High Density Coir, 5 Inch King Size Firm Mattress for Back Support and Posture Alignment (78 X 72 X 5 Inches)₹ 20469₹ 24970Buy On
- 33% OFF
Duroflex LiveIn - Pressure Relieving, Memory Foam, Roll Pack, 8 Inch Queen Size Medium Firm Mattress with Superior Comfort and Anti Microbial Fabric (78 X 60 X 8 Inches)₹ 12199₹ 19999Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Darius Metal Sofa cum Bed (Grey)₹ 16739₹ 29000Buy On
- 52% OFF
MBTC Rapid High Bar Chair/Kitchen Stool in Black₹ 2699₹ 5499Buy On
- 2% OFF
Sleepwell Starlite Discover 4-inch Firm King Size Foam Mattress (78*72*4 Inches)₹ 7149₹ 7928Buy On
The mysterious dogecoin whale that owns more than 28% of the circulating supply of the cryptocurrency has seen the value of its holdings decline by 67% from its peak, to $8.2 billion on Monday.
The whale's address owns nearly 37 billion dogecoins, which were worth more than $24 billion in early May. But a far-reaching crypto meltdown has led to a steep decline in the value of the meme-inspired cryptocurrency in recent weeks.
Enthusiasm around dogecoin peaked at about the same time Tesla CEO Elon Musk hosted "Saturday Night Live" and referred to dogecoin in a skit, as many crypto traders had expected. But since then, little has been able to stimulate demand for the cryptocurrency, and 5 billion dogecoins come into existence every year.
One crypto expert has said the dogecoin whale is most likely a cryptocurrency exchange. There has also been speculation that Robinhood is behind the dogecoin address.
Despite the decline in dogecoin, many still see potential for the cryptocurrency to hold utility as a viable form of payment. Several businesses now accept dogecoin, including the NBA's Dallas Mavericks and MLB's Oakland Athletics.
Several people have recently responded to Musk's call to improve dogecoin as a payment. Charles Hoskinson, the creator of Cardano, said that, if improved, dogecoin could have potential for real-world use.
"Dogecoin is a reasonable target for someone to fix it up and make it an interesting cryptocurrency," Hoskinson said in a podcast on Friday. "My hope is that a compromise can be made where real developers come in and they start working on
While the volatility in dogecoin is likely to continue, so too is the resilience of the mysterious dogecoin whale. Despite the 70% decline in dogecoin since its peak, the cryptocurrency is up 4,508% year-to-date.
- Ethereum may not have too long to get its high gas fee issue in check, according to JPMorgan
- Terra's LUNA token continues to hold its own even in a crypto bear market — here's why
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- HUL spent Rs 1,193 crore on advertising between October and December 2021
- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant and Ravichandran Ashwin included in ICC Men's Test team of the Year 2021