Mysterious dogecoin whale sees holdings value plummet by 67% from peak, to $8 billion, amid crypto meltdown
- A far-reaching
cryptomeltdown has led to a 70% decline in dogecoinsince its peak in early May.
- A mysterious whale owns about 28% of the dogecoin supply.
- The value of its holdings had plummeted to $8.2 billion as of Monday from $24 billion in May.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
The mysterious dogecoin whale that owns more than 28% of the circulating supply of the cryptocurrency has seen the value of its holdings decline by 67% from its peak, to $8.2 billion on Monday.
The whale's address owns nearly 37 billion dogecoins, which were worth more than $24 billion in early May. But a far-reaching crypto meltdown has led to a steep decline in the value of the meme-inspired cryptocurrency in recent weeks.
Enthusiasm around dogecoin peaked at about the same time Tesla CEO Elon Musk hosted "Saturday Night Live" and referred to dogecoin in a skit, as many crypto traders had expected. But since then, little has been able to stimulate demand for the cryptocurrency, and 5 billion dogecoins come into existence every year.
One crypto expert has said the dogecoin whale is most likely a cryptocurrency exchange. There has also been speculation that Robinhood is behind the dogecoin address.
Despite the decline in dogecoin, many still see potential for the cryptocurrency to hold utility as a viable form of payment. Several businesses now accept dogecoin, including the NBA's Dallas Mavericks and MLB's Oakland Athletics.
Several people have recently responded to Musk's call to improve dogecoin as a payment. Charles Hoskinson, the creator of Cardano, said that, if improved, dogecoin could have potential for real-world use.
"Dogecoin is a reasonable target for someone to fix it up and make it an interesting cryptocurrency," Hoskinson said in a podcast on Friday. "My hope is that a compromise can be made where real developers come in and they start working on
While the volatility in dogecoin is likely to continue, so too is the resilience of the mysterious dogecoin whale. Despite the 70% decline in dogecoin since its peak, the cryptocurrency is up 4,508% year-to-date.
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months
- Researchers develop AI-based algorithm that can detect unseen signs of heart failure
- Zoho adds features that can turn a video call into remote assistance for repairing cars, appliances and more
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons