The biggest gains in value and popularity among cryptocurrencies have been led by altcoins this year — here are 5 biggest winners in 2021
- Altcoins in 2021 dominated in value and popularity growth in the now-$2.6 trillion cryptocurrency market.
- Shiba inu was the top performer in both categories, according to analysis by BrokerChooser.
Altcoins have been a major driver of the booming cryptocurrency market, which briefly topped a $3 trillion capitalization in 2021, with shiba inu and others leading in value and popularity growth, according to analysis published Monday.
Bitcoin remains the biggest cryptocurrency with a roughly 42% volume dominance and a $1.1 trillion market capitalization, and its skyrocketing price has captured attention and funds from institutional and retail investors.
"And while Bitcoin is undoubtedly still the king of
The company, which hosts reviews of brokers in 227 countries and territories, said it compared interest via Google search data and price in terms of US dollars between September 2020 and September 2021 for the 50 current biggest
Shiba inu increased the most by each measure, with its value surging by 2.4 million percent over a 12-month period ended September 2021. A recent rally shot shiba inu to the 11th spot among the world's most valuable cryptocurrencies, a position that has since slipped slightly, to 12th place, according to CoinGecko.
"Envisaged as being a light-hearted and fun cryptocurrency to poke fun at the emerging world of crypto, [dogecoin] ended up building its own community and taking off in a huge way, particularly after being frequently mentioned by Elon Musk on social media," said BrokerChooser, noting the Tesla boss has said dogecoin is part of his personal portfolio.
Behind dogecoin was Terra, which trades as LUNA, with its price jump of 6,496% to $31.66 in September. The token, developed by South Korean firm Terraform Labs, is used for governance and staking on a decentralized financial payment network that powers a basket of stablecoins for cross-border transactions.
Terra's price "exploded" in January when it raised $25 million in a funding round from Galaxy Digital, Coinbase Ventures, Pantera Capital, and others, said BrokerChooser.
Shiba Inu led in the number of searches, with "
Rounding out the top three in popularity terms,
Polygon was the fourth-biggest price gainer, up 4,800% to $1.47. Solana ranked fifth with a rise of 2,458% to $111.03. Solana's popularity has been fueled by bets it will overtake ethereum in the world of smart contracts and by growth in play-to-earn games.
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?