The CEO of Kraken says the crypto exchange is considering a traditional IPO following rival Coinbase's volatile direct listing
KrakenCEO Jesse Powellsaid he is considering an IPOwhen his company goes public instead of a direct listing, Fortune reported.
- Powell's thinking was influenced by
Coinbase's volatile direct listing in April.
- The CEO ruled out going public via
SPAC, saying his company is "too big" for it already.
Kraken founder and CEO Jesse Powell said he is considering a traditional initial public offering to take the
"An IPO is looking a little more attractive in light of the direct listing's performance," Powell told Fortune. "I would say we're looking at it more seriously now having the benefit of seeing how the direct public offering played out for Coinbase."
Coinbase, the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the US, went public on April 14 in what many viewed as a milestone from the digital asset ecosystem. The company was valued at $68 billion ahead of its direct listing but now hovers around a market cap of $58 billion.
Powell pinned the volatility of Coinbase's performance to the method it used to go public, especially since existing shareholders are not prohibited from selling their shares at the debut in direct listings.
Unlike in an IPO, companies that go public via direct listing do not issue new shares.
Following a record for Kraken's
The Kraken boss told Fortune that he is still optimistic his company can go public next year.
"Hopefully we'll have more analyst coverage out, and there's just more of a track record of growth for the industry that people feel like they can rely on," he said.
While mulling over how best to take Kraken public, Powell said that a merger with a blank-check company was not an option.
"It might have been possible a few years ago, but today, I think we're too big to consider doing a SPAC," he said.
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, pop culture smash 'Squid Game' has been bumped by another show
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best portable room heaters in India
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons