The lawyers making money behind the scenes of emerging fields like crypto, cannabis, and real estate tech
- Entrepreneurs are making billions of dollars in emerging industries like
- Lawyers are behind the scenes, inking deals, and navigating ever-changing regulatory landscapes.
- Insider tracked down the most powerful attorneys shaping the highest growth industries.
19 crypto and blockchain-focused lawyers who are inking deals, fighting lawsuits, and navigating fast-evolving regulations
Digital assets have boomed over the past decade, moving from a niche hobby to a mainstream investment. Big names like MassMutual, MicroStrategy, and Tesla have bought Bitcoin; PayPal and Square's CashApp have made it easy to buy crypto with the tap of a finger; and major financial players like BNY Mellon and Visa and Mastercard have said they're planning to offer custody and transaction services for certain digital assets.
Meanwhile, lawyers have been riding the wave, helping clients reimagine
As more states legalize recreational cannabis use, companies are scrambling to capture new markets and scale up. But cannabis is still federally illegal in the US, and that's where lawyers come in.
Insider pulled the 10 largest cannabis-industry deals worldwide since the start of 2020, including M&A, capital raises, and debt financing, and pinpointed which
Social media isn't just an idle pastime: it fuels a $15 billion influencer industry. As digital creators eat up more attention in entertainment, law firms that once focused on representing TV and movie stars are now chasing after YouTubers and TikTokers.
To better understand how influencers are transforming entertainment law, Insider compiled a list of the leading law firms that represent digital creators across YouTube, Instagram, and other social-media platforms.
The bankers, brokers, and big money transforming litigation finance from a lawyer's hustle to a multibillion-dollar asset class
Commercial litigation funding, in which investors advance money to businesses for the costs of lawsuits, is booming. Litigation funders now have $11.3 billion invested or ready to invest in US commercial litigation, according to a recent estimate by Westfleet Advisors.
Insider spoke to dozens of funders, lawyers, and finance professionals to learn the names of lawyers and companies transforming the industry.
SPACs raised more than $80 billion in 2020, more than five-times the previous year's total. Insider spoke with more than a dozen people in the industry to identify the biggest lawyers and bankers behind the
Immigration lawyers hold the keys to a startup's No. 1 competitive advantage: its people. They help growing companies hire the best talent from anywhere, steering them through a daunting US immigration system that places higher scrutiny on startups than big corporations. Insider reporters identified the top immigration attorneys helping startups and their founders secure work visas.
The top 11 lawyers helping big-name fintechs like Plaid, Coinbase, and Square go public, raise rounds, and cut deals
Fintechs are facing a range of regulatory hurdles, while some are making public debuts. Insider asked fintechs, law firms, and VCs to nominate the top lawyers helping these companies raise money and cut deals. Their specialties range from M&A to venture capital and private-equity funding. Behind the scenes, they're making things work.
Real-estate tech — also known as proptech — was on the rise before COVID-19 hit. But the pandemic has forever changed the housing market, the rental market, and commercial real estate, increasing the need for new technology and digital tools. Insider asked leading proptech figures to identify the top lawyers they call on when they need legal advice. Only a few lawyers specialize in proptech, but many include it as part of their larger book of work.
- A boomer moved back to Virginia after living in Florida for a decade. She says she'll 'never own another home' in the Sunshine State and loves the slower pace of life.
- Satellite images reveal Egypt has been quietly building a 16-foot wall on its border with Gaza
- Congressman presses Elon Musk to provide SpaceX satellite services for US defense forces in Taiwan, report says
- The importance of multi-asset investing
- AirAsia looks to add tier-2 and tier -3 cities to its India route map
- Most Internet users avail of OTT services; 53% of them from rural areas: Report
- Companies to dole out 10% average salary hike this year, says survey
- Godrej Appliances expects 20% growth in AC, refrigerator sales in summer season