The lawyers making money behind the scenes of emerging fields like crypto, cannabis, and real estate tech
- Entrepreneurs are making billions of dollars in emerging industries like
- Lawyers are behind the scenes, inking deals, and navigating ever-changing regulatory landscapes.
- Insider tracked down the most powerful attorneys shaping the highest growth industries.
19 crypto and blockchain-focused lawyers who are inking deals, fighting lawsuits, and navigating fast-evolving regulations
Digital assets have boomed over the past decade, moving from a niche hobby to a mainstream investment. Big names like MassMutual, MicroStrategy, and Tesla have bought Bitcoin; PayPal and Square's CashApp have made it easy to buy crypto with the tap of a finger; and major financial players like BNY Mellon and Visa and Mastercard have said they're planning to offer custody and transaction services for certain digital assets.
Meanwhile, lawyers have been riding the wave, helping clients reimagine
The top law firms putting together blockbuster cannabis deals worth billions
As more states legalize recreational cannabis use, companies are scrambling to capture new markets and scale up. But cannabis is still federally illegal in the US, and that's where lawyers come in.
Insider pulled the 10 largest cannabis-industry deals worldwide since the start of 2020, including M&A, capital raises, and debt financing, and pinpointed which
The top lawyers who work with YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram creators
Social media isn't just an idle pastime: it fuels a $15 billion influencer industry. As digital creators eat up more attention in entertainment, law firms that once focused on representing TV and movie stars are now chasing after YouTubers and TikTokers.
To better understand how influencers are transforming entertainment law, Insider compiled a list of the leading law firms that represent digital creators across YouTube, Instagram, and other social-media platforms.
The bankers, brokers, and big money transforming litigation finance from a lawyer's hustle to a multibillion-dollar asset class
Commercial litigation funding, in which investors advance money to businesses for the costs of lawsuits, is booming. Litigation funders now have $11.3 billion invested or ready to invest in US commercial litigation, according to a recent estimate by Westfleet Advisors.
Insider spoke to dozens of funders, lawyers, and finance professionals to learn the names of lawyers and companies transforming the industry.
The top lawyers, advisors, salespeople behind the SPAC boom
SPACs raised more than $80 billion in 2020, more than five-times the previous year's total. Insider spoke with more than a dozen people in the industry to identify the biggest lawyers and bankers behind the
18 immigration lawyers who help tech startups land top talent from abroad
Immigration lawyers hold the keys to a startup's No. 1 competitive advantage: its people. They help growing companies hire the best talent from anywhere, steering them through a daunting US immigration system that places higher scrutiny on startups than big corporations. Insider reporters identified the top immigration attorneys helping startups and their founders secure work visas.
The top 11 lawyers helping big-name fintechs like Plaid, Coinbase, and Square go public, raise rounds, and cut deals
Fintechs are facing a range of regulatory hurdles, while some are making public debuts. Insider asked fintechs, law firms, and VCs to nominate the top lawyers helping these companies raise money and cut deals. Their specialties range from M&A to venture capital and private-equity funding. Behind the scenes, they're making things work.
Meet the top 10 proptech lawyers minting big deals and helping real-estate startups raise cash
Real-estate tech — also known as proptech — was on the rise before COVID-19 hit. But the pandemic has forever changed the housing market, the rental market, and commercial real estate, increasing the need for new technology and digital tools. Insider asked leading proptech figures to identify the top lawyers they call on when they need legal advice. Only a few lawyers specialize in proptech, but many include it as part of their larger book of work.
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Elon Musk reportedly left OpenAI's board in 2018 after Sam Altman and other cofounders rejected his plan to run the company
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals and kitchen appliance maker Butterfly announce merger
- ICMR comes up with first ethical guidelines for application of AI in biomedical research, healthcare
- Measures taken by IIFCL to keep bad loans under check: Parliamentary panel
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock