The massively popular CryptoPunks NFT collection was buggy and unnoticed at launch - until all 10,000 suddenly sold in 24 hours
- When the now popular
CryptoPunksNFT collection launched, it went largely unnoticed.
- A Mashable article about the collection launched the digital art into the public eye.
When the now-iconic CryptoPunks NFT collection launched in mid-June of 2017, it didn't make much noise.
In fact, the public reaction was near silent, according to a Nov. 11
Then on June 16, 2017, a Mashable article titled, "This Ethereum-Based Project Could Change How We Think About Digital Art," was published.
People started swooping up digital punks - one man bought nearly 800 of them - and within 24 hours, all 10,000 of them were claimed, Wired said.
But then there was a "horrific" bug. When new owners would try to sell their punks, the payment didn't get to them, and the buyer then kept the proceeds and the newly purchased punk.
John Watkinson, one of the collection's creators, said it was "a complete disaster" and thought the marketplace was "toast." The creators began posting social media alerts for people to halt buying and selling. That gave them time to fix the bug and roll out a new smart contract within a few days, Wired wrote.
Billionaires and crypto enthusiasts alike now clamor to own one of the CryptoPunk NFTs, many of which are now worth millions. Billionaire Shalom Meckenzie, for example, bought a pixelated avatar of a "Covid Alien" for $11.7 million.
NFTs, though still nascent, have since grown into a booming market since the early days. In the third quarter alone, NFTs had a whopping $10.7 billion worth of trading volume, a 704% increase from the three months prior.
Celebrities and athletes have joined in on the craze by selling their own digital collectibles. And a growing number of crypto enthusiasts believe they're the key to unlocking the future of the internet - the metaverse.
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet